A Conversation for A Beginner's Guide to Making Plastic Models

Wargaming

Post 1

Sceptical Nick - Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me.

Some wargaming models do involve plastic multi-part kits, as we veteran gamers refer to them. Most are simply metal models, but some of the larger companies such as citadel miniatures have begun to slowly phase these out in preference of plastic kits, or in the case of the company forge world, resin kits.


Wargaming

Post 2

Ryan the Daemon Prince - Dealing Arms to Svalbard Since 1995

That's because plastic models are so much easier to make than metal ones.

It's so annoying that that industrial strength super glue I once had ran out and now I can't find a vendeur that sells it.


Wargaming

Post 3

AgProv4

Assembling metal models is a surprisingly difficult thing: quite often you need to reinforce a joint by drilling and pinning, or large parts like arms, wings, legs, et c, will not hold even with the strongest glue and fall off under their own weight. I did a model once, in white metal, of a Pegasus flying horse - as you might expect, two large separate wings cast in lead-based alloy were utter buggers to fix in place to the "shoulders2 of the beast and needed serious support - drilling into body and wings and inserting wire formers...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more