A Conversation for Terry Pratchett's Discworld

The Big Read

Post 1

Researcher 228190

Was anyone else a bit miffed at the coverage Terry got on BBC2's the Big Read programme last night?
He got 5 entries into the top 100 - equalled only by Charles Dickens, and as far as I can make out None of Terry's books have been made into films (there may have been a cartoon version somewhere, but I'm not sure).
So since this is a fairly fantastic achievement, I was a bit dissapointed that he barely got a mention. I realise that with 100 books to go through, they couldn't spend that much time on him, but was anyone else sick of how many times J.K Rowling was mentioned... I mean I like her books but...
Well I've vented my spleen now, but I'd be interested to see what other people think.. but I for one want to say Yay Terry!!


The Big Read

Post 2

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

I think Truckers, Diggers and Wings have all been done as animations, and somewhere I've got a video of one of the Johnny Maxwell stories. both Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters were done as animations by Cosgrove Hall a few years ago. smiley - smiley

I didn't actually see the programme, but I guess the Beeb were trying to play to 'the audience that didn't vote'. HP is ridiculously popular, so it doesn't surprise me that it got a lot of air time in the programme. Pratchett is also very popular, but his work never seems to get the recognition it should...


The Big Read

Post 3

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

Take heart. I go to a school that has students from 13-18 and Pratchett is by far and away the most borrowed author. smiley - coolsmiley - cool


The Big Read

Post 4

rentawitch

Well Terry was seen at a book signing wearing a red t-shirt that reads "LESS DEAD THAN DICKENS".

I was at a talk at Birmingham Arts centre and Terry said he had been told that his average fan was a 14 year old boy called Kevin. When Terry imparted this news to an audience. A 50 something man stood up and said "Actually, I'm Kevin. Then a little old lady got up and said I'm Kevin. Then various people of both sexes and all ages got up and said I'm Kevin. And finally a 40 something man said, Well, I'm Kevin and so is my wife!!.

Be aware folks 2 and 3 August is Clarecraft Event at Woolpit in Suffolk between Stowmarket and Bury St Edmunds. There will be Paint your own, beer will be drunk. The theme is Pyramids and there will be a maskerade!!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more