A Conversation for The Chemical Origins of the Shroud of Turin

Explanations

Post 21

Herforderman

Really interesting!!

http://www.h2g2.com/A339743


Explanations

Post 22

Worthy

We can never prove or disprove the shroud as a fake or not. This is because proof denies faith, and any proof would cause great difficulty in the scientific commumity, and indeed God himself, because of all the scientists trying to find a direct way of talking to God.
Therefore, to test our devotion and strength of mind, our faith demands that we simply believe. And face it, an omnipotent being is always going to be able to have the upperhand on any thing you may think of doing/ thinking that could prove it either way.
So just believe, coz there is no other way.


Explanations

Post 23

Martin Harper

"all the scientists trying to find a direct way of talking to God"
Umm.... examples? I don't think that's been tried since the alleged Tower of Babel.


Explanations

Post 24

Worthy

Umm, i'm not entirly sure, i'll have to think about that. Just use your imagination, um perhaps the "ark" as in the lost one, from indiana Jones?


Explanations

Post 25

Martin Harper

Far be it to me to pour cold water on a childhood belief... but Indiana Jones isn't *real*... smiley - winkeye


Removed

Post 26

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

This post has been removed.


Explanations

Post 27

Ioreth (on hiatus)

Loony you're wonderful...
but how do you find all this stuff?


Explanations

Post 28

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

loreth I belong to numerous mailing lists, including the Discovery Channel one where the above article was posted yesterday (4/6/00) my time.


Explanations

Post 29

tiptopdavej

Interesting story! However it's even less credible than the account that its Jesus image. You have some fundamental flaws in your theory - Molay for a start, if that's who the image was of, could not have been alive when the image was created, having a whole punctured through the fifth and sixth ribs into the ventricle of the Heart. Forensic experts have authenticated not only the site of the injury in the man on the shroud, but also the type of piercing and the angle of entry. Medical experts have already identified the authenticity of the blood flows from the chest, pooling round to the small of the back.

Secondly, there is no blood on the Shroud, at least not in the normal sense. Tests have been carried out to ascertain if there are any remnants of blood products on the Shroud material. There are none. They have used highly developed methods to check this. The image was not created by blood or sweat.

Even today, let alone in medieval times, there is no known technology that can reproduce the image on a shroud, with the extent of accuracy and complexity that is displayed in the Shroud. The gradient of information on the image has been noted to be enough to produce 3d images, such as not even possible with current photography. (2 photos at a minimum are needed). I suggest that far more respect is paid to the Shroud. If it is a forgery, as some claim, let them prove it! If it is not, then let it be a reminder of the power of Christ.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more