A Conversation for Crash Test Dummies - the Band

First two great, last two horrible.

Post 1

Arm of the Law

I WAS a CTD fan from the beginning. I heard "Superman" on a Toronto radio station when it was first released and got the album. I agree that the Dummies are an aquired taste, because it did take me listening to it several times before I was hooked.

Then came the next album and I was even more impressed. They obviously matured as a band and their overall sound was impressive. I saw them in concert four times and they were better live than in the studio. That is a true test of a band's ability.

Then came Worm's Life. I made myself listen to the whole thing to make sure I gave it a fair shake. I then promptly gave the CD away because it sucked so badly that I didn't want it to infect my other CD's. I was afraid that it's suckiness was so overwhelming that my other CD's would begin to suck just from being next to it in the case. If I didn't find someone to take it, I would have thrown it out.

The problem with that album is that Brad took his "stream of conscience" type of song-writing, that made the first two albums unique, and choked-and-gagged on it. It was so "stream of conscience" that the songs were funny, and not in a good way. I compare it to the movie "Con-Air" starring Nicholas Cage. There were so many explosions and crashes and fires and general mayhem, that after a while, you just had to start laughing. And again, not in a good way.

I have not had the courage to buy the latest CD. I don't think I will ever be able to trust them enough to invest the $15.

Falling out of fan-ship with the Dummies was a sad time in my life. They disappointed me, but I have learned to cope and move on.

*sigh*


First two great, last two horrible.

Post 2

Inkwash

This is a tragic tale.
I agree that I myself, sailing along on the bliss of The Ghosts and GSHF, kind of tripped over when I came to the third album. I think the trick is not to take it too seriously, (after all, does Brad?) then suddenly songs like "I'm a Dog" become really good!
I had the same problem with Kid A by Radiohead, but I came to realise that it's best listened to as background sound, not sing-along angst.
If you still haven't bought the fourth album yet, give it a try. The sound is new and they let Ellen out of her box for three or four really good songs.


First two great, last two horrible.

Post 3

Lost in Scotland

I've all my wisdom teeth. Two up top, two beneath,
And yet I'll recognise, my mouth says things that aren't so wise.

But I still say lots and lots, and I would like to say that it was a sad loss when my GSHF got lost in a move and never recovered. When Worm's Life got lost in the same move, that didn't really hurt as much. At the moment, I'm in a Ghosts that haunt me phase, when I play that album (recorded to tape) in my car all the time (especially Thick-Necked Man).
I just went into the amazon.co.uk site to try and find the missing albums, just to have them.
And I don't know if I actually knew they had released a fourth album. Need to have it.


First two great, last two horrible.

Post 4

Inkwash

Lots of them are doing solo stuff now as well- the harmonica player did a tour and now the backing and lead singers are about to release their own albums.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more