The h2g2 Post Recipe

1 Conversation

I didn't know that Asians had cottages! Master B serves up another spicy treat for us all.

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to Shazz.

Saag Paneer

This is probably my favourite Indian dish (Guyanan, actually), and is well worth seeking out all the spices for. For those that don't know, paneer is an Indian cottage cheese that is pretty tasteless in its raw state, but can be cooked without melting and has a pleasant texture.

Ingredients (serves 2)

  • 8oz (250g) spinach, washed, dried and finely shredded
  • 200g paneer, diced
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 green chillies, finely chopped
  • ½ inch ginger, minced
  • 2tsp yellow mustard seeds
  • 1tsp cumin seeds
  • ½tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 6 green cardomom pods, bruised but left whole
  • 1 inch cinnamon stick
  • 1-2oz butter (less if you're feeling healthy)
  • Salt
  • Fresh coriander to garnish

Method

  1. In a little oil and a large saucepan or wok, heat the mustard seeds, cumin, fenugreek, cardomom and cinnamon over a medium heat, until the mustard seeds start to pop.
  2. Add the onion and rapidly stir-fry until the onion softens and starts to brown.
  3. Add the paneer, garlic, chilli and ginger and continue to stir-fry for another minute.
  4. Add the spinach, 1tsp of salt, and the butter. Cover the pan and leave on the heat.
  5. Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring every five minutes or so. If there is any liquid left at the end of the cooking time, uncover the pan and allow it to boil dry.
  6. Garnish with coarsely chopped coriander and serve with pilau rice.

The Recipe Archive

Master B

08.07.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A2817678

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more