A Conversation for Superheroes

erm.....

Post 1

RED-DRAGON

I'm not an expert but, I hate to say this but there were a number of mistakes in this piece...
1) spiderman. Peter Parker was actually BITTEN by a radioactive spider.
2) Superman. Kal-El pre-crisis was born powerless on krypton, but was superpowerful in earths atmosphere... post-crisis. Kal-El was born from a birthing matrix on earth and the suns rays gave him power..
3) The Hulk. Dr. Bruce Banner was actually caught in he blast of a gamma bomb whilst attempting o save (future sidekick) Rick Baker..

Sorry to be a party pooper!


Not only that....

Post 2

Omega

...but Superman didn't have a psychological fear of Kryptonite.... Kryptonite is just chunks of the planet Krypton when the planet exploded because Doomsday caused a chain reaction in the planet's core...the chunks of the planet then had different radioactive properties but why they have different properties, I do not know. All I know is that some forms are artificial while most are natural. Green, Red and Blue Kryptonite are the best known, the first two are natural and the last one is artificial. The Green version is the one that makes Kryptonians exposed to yellow starlight weak and, if exposed long enough, dead due to K-poisoning. Red causes unknown results in (I assume) all Kryptonians and Superman over the years has been shrunk, turned into a humanoid ant, turned into a weakling, etc due to each exposure. Exposure to a chunk of Red is like chicken pox, once you get exposed to "chunk A" then it's radioactivity doesn't affect you again and each chunk of Red has a different effect. Blue Kryptonite was more frequent in post-"Crisis on Infinite Earths" Superman stories when an older version of Luthor made a ray to copy Superman so he can have an evil Superman but Supe's DNA was of course majorly different and the ray made an imperfect duplicate named Bizzaro. To be able to control this pale, ugly, block faced and stupid copy, Luthor took some Green Kryptonite and zapped it w/ the "Bizzaro Ray" to make Blue Kryptonite which is the imperfect version. Oddly enough in the Superfriends cartoon, Blue was used as an antidote as well for Green and Red Kryptonite.

Other forms of Kryptonite include Kryptonite X, made by Supergirl, which gave Kryptonian powers to ordinary Earth pets like Horses, monkeys, dogs, etc. Gold Kryptonite, which is natural, I assume permanently changes Kryptonian DNA to where yellow star light doesn't give them powers, and I don't know how many times Supes got around that.... Anti Kryptonite (natural) was what Argo City (Supergirl's birthplace) was built on when Krypton exploded and theground that Argo City was on was hurled away as an entire chunk. It keeps ordinary Kryptonians near it from getting superpowers no matter what sunlight they were exposed to. Crystal Kryptonite was made by the pre-"Crisis" Phantom Zone Villains when they used a way to travel time and caused something in Krypton's crust to make it so they can influence events outside the Phantom Zone. Then there's one more form (I forgot the name but I'll look it up sometime) that even kills off plants, I think.....

Also in addition to the Kryptonite weakness... Superman can't have his powers when he's exposed to the rays of a red giant star....


Not only that....

Post 3

Hyperstorm

No, no, no, you're combining Pre-and Post-Crisis into the same context here: Pre-Crisis had different types of Kryptonite (seven to be exact) while in Post-Crisis there are only two: Green (natural chunks of the doomed planet) and Red (artificial substance created by Batman in the event he would need to take Superman out.)

Otherwise a pretty accurate summation.


Not only that....

Post 4

lw - ck




Welcome to the site Hyperstorm
smiley - winkeye
smiley - angelCKsmiley - devil


RE: erm.....

Post 5

Wallychamp

That's actually Rick Jones, not Rick Baker. Maybe it was Baker in the 70's TV series.. I don't know.


RE: erm.....

Post 6

Nate

You're right it was rick jones and batman didn't need red kryptonite to destroy superman as superman gave batman a chunk of kryptonite in case superman ever became evil and needed to be destroyed


RE: erm.....

Post 7

TheFunkeyGibbon

Also, this article states that so female super-heroines have weaknesses. This not true. War Bird was an alcoholic (as was Iron Man until he kicked the habit). Rouge from the X-Men couldn't touch people a big downside I'd say! Storm suffers from claustrophobia. Can people think of others?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more