A Conversation for How to Ride a Motorcycle

right hand U turn

Post 1

elgwiz

Who can tell me why the U turn I make to the left feels better than a right hander ? During motorbike lessons in France, maybe the same in the UK, one thing is a slalom through some cones, a tight U turn and a slalom back in under 22 seconds. What's the rush ? My turn lets me down and is slow and wobbly, I'm not a teenager and have never ridden a motorbike before so can anyone help, please, the instructor is putting me in for the test soon, if only to stop me from dropping his bike during lessons I guess.


right hand U turn

Post 2

BadZen

We all (or at least a lot of us) have preferred sides - even faster corners left or right will feel different. But also, it may have something to do with the position of the throttle - it's on the right, so perhaps when you're going left it's more difficult to hold the throttle slightly more open and turn the handlebar to full lock. May also be to do with weight distribution, where you look, etc. etc.

With a u-turn, or slalom, keep your head up and look where you want to go. Use only the back brake at slow speed. If you're wobbly, it may be because you are going just a bit toooo slowly - or you're just leaning the bike a bit too far and over-correcting because you're scared of dropping it. Either way, it's possible to do full-lock turns and slaloms at more than just minimum throttle, especially if you sit right on the bike, keep your head up, and just use the back brake when going slow enough to have to turn the front wheel in the direction you are going. Grip the tank with your knees, relax your arms. Have fun!

Hope that's helpful.... smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers


right hand U turn

Post 3

elgwiz

very helpful in fact, I will read your text again and again to absorb this, I want this licence so badly. If only I had taken the test years ago, but life is full of ' if only 's. In the past I've been related to bikers so why didn't they tell me just how amazing this all is. It hasn't taken over my life but it now plays a big part and I've met some really interesting people and there is just something a little different about the world of bikes that I haven't found elsewhere. Enough already, thanks for the advice and encouragement

El Gwiz


right hand U turn

Post 4

BadZen

Yeah it's hard to explain to non-riders what riding a bike is like - not just a form of transport.

Take it easy, turn your head - and keep your shiny side up!

smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more