A Conversation for How to Ride a Motorcycle

Make it like blinking

Post 1

ColGadarby

Just a tip on counter steering -

because it is a slightly illogical manoeuvre - to steer the opposite way that you want to go. I use countersteering all the time - as I go into the bend I look to where I want the bike to go and then very gently counter steer into the bend - I always keep such light pressure on that same side - so that if the bend increases in its sharpness - I can quickly react to it without having to think which side to push/pull on. (I prefer to pull opposite rather than push same side) By doing it every time it will in time make the manoeuvre more like an instinctive reaction eventually. If you can react as quickly as blinking when a piece of dust comes towards your eye - it could oneday save your life.

The instinct should be to counter steer more when a bend increase in severity suddenly - NOT to brake which is the natural instinctive reactive. If you brake on a bend, the bike will right itself and this will lead you into the path of the oncoming traffic (A text book RTA). Counter steering is such an important part of riding a bike - I believe it should be covered in detail as part of the bike test.

Andy


Make it like blinking

Post 2

BadZen

Or at least as part of training.

Good points smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more