A Conversation for Easton, Pennsylvania, USA

"The car needs washed"

Post 1

Flying Betty- Now with added nickname tag!

Dropping the extraneous "to be" in statements like that is an across the board thing in rural Pennsylvania, Central and Western specifically. This can give rise to a whole bunch of statements that just sound a little bit wrong to non-Pennsylvania ears, even if you can't quite figure out why.


"The car needs washed"

Post 2

MrToastmaster

Yes, I have been in Pennsylvania a lot lately (May end up working there. I am in Northwest New Jersey). I am getting used to hearing those expressions.
Easton has been fixed up quite nicely. I found h2g2 just now by looking on Google for Easton.


"The car needs washed"

Post 3

Corbin Aquillo

I don't know about it being an thing specifically in Central and Western Pennsylvania. It's pretty darn prevalent in Eastern Pennslyvania, especially in areas especially filled with the Amish and Mennonite, such as Lancaster County.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more