A Conversation for The Development of the Western Alphabet

Why no transparent Characters?

Post 1

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Nephew Who trying to look through the characters
"These Gif images could have been so usefull, where it not they are only black on white."

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"Good entry, jet how do we pronounce ordinary english alphabet elements?
Well, perhaps pronouncing is not the question how do we write the characters as they are supposed to be pronounced?"


Why no transparent Characters?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

The pictures were not intended for you to use as fonts. They are purely for illustrating the entry.

smiley - tit, I'm afraid I don't understand your question.


Why no transparent Characters?

Post 3

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Nephew Who checking < A2415971 >
"The trebuchet does use font types, jet on every system they show different. The Gif fonts for this entry could have been more system independend.
It all comes down to our desire to draw anything with 'lego' like blocks, not unlike Table-Art but more compatible."

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"My dictionary does not say what the names for english characters are. Like most entries about alphabets this one names the Greek and Phoenician but fails to give a list of the current used names.
Not unlike < <./>Guideml-characters</.> >, although these are also a bit misleading < A2498691 > (attempt to give just more then a name)."


Why no transparent Characters?

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Do you mean you want to know the names in English for the letters A to Z?

Ay
Bee
See
Dee
Ee
Eff
Jee
Aitch or Haitch
Eye
Jay
Kay
Ell
Em
En
Oh
Pee
Kew
Are
Ess
Tee
Yew
Vee
Double Yew
Eks
Wye
Zed or Zee


Why no transparent Characters?

Post 5

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"Thank you just what I was missing in naming the letters indeed.
< A2498763 >"


Why no transparent Characters?

Post 6

And Introducing... A Leg

Herein lies the answer to my idiot primary school teacher who insisted on saying 'a ess'. When I pointed out to him that 'an ess' was not a common mistake but actually right (since the true vowels are the letter sounds, not their names), he told me off for being cheeky.

What a total berk.


Key: Complain about this post