Motorcyclist's Crash Helmets - UK edition

4 Conversations

Crash helemts, skid lids, splat-hats, as they are variously known by the biking community, have been a legal requirement in the UK since 1972. Opinion on the need for the law to become involved has divided motorcyclists ever since.

Some would simply prefer to ride without one at all, and feel the wind in their hair. Others see the need for helmets, but believe it is an infringment of civil liberties to have 'safety' forced upon them. The majority have little opinion either way, and accept the law as it is.

One of the major flaws in the law as it stands, and a large part of the civil libertarians argument, is the exemption of a particular section of the public. Namely, followers of the Sheikh religion, who grow their hair long and keep it wrapped in a turban at all times, thus preventing them from wearing a crash helemt. The argument runs, if certain persons can be exempted from a law designed to force people to be safe, then should not everyone have the choice to wear a helmet?

Modern crash helmet shells are generally made from one of 3 materials. Glass-reinforced fibre has been around for many year, and tends to make heavy lids. Poly-carbonate plastics are much lighter, but were not as strong when 1st introduced, and were mostly used in Class-B, or 'cheaper' helemts. In the last few years, poly-carb lids are now Class-A approved, and are very strong. The latest manufacturing technique is to use carbon-fibre composite shells. Carbon fibre is very, very light and amazingly strong - all formula one cars are carbon fibre, this is why most drivers walk (or at least limp) away from high-speed accidents.

Underneath the shell is an impact absorbing layer. This layer dissapates the force of a blow over a larger area, in the manner of a bullet-proof vest. The process of spreading the blow is once only, as it damages the material. It is for this reason that helemts should be treated with care, and not unduly dropped or kicked about, and MUST be disposed of after an accident.

The final layer is a padded liner, to make the helmet fit better and be more comfortable to wear for long periods.

Every skid-lid sold in the UK must be of a type approved by the British Standards Institutes (BSI) or an equivalent saftey standard. For a manufacturer to get BSI approval, for every single different model they wish to sell, is a long and expensive process. European saftey standard vary widely from country to country, and the lack of a europe wide standards body has hampered matters for several years.

One of the more popular 'illegal' helemts is the Simpson range, with dark visors and evil-looking grilles down the side. While looking jolly cool, in practical use they are heavy, noisy, and offer restricted side visibility. Being designed exclusively for race track use, they are of course AutoCycle Union (ACU) approved, meaning they offer full impact protection.

Helmets can cost an awful lot of money, upto £500. The question to ask is, how much is your head worth? And then factor in the available budget - it is always worth spending more than you had planned to, and buying a more expensive helmet. More expensive lids usually offer better internal airflow, for de-misting, a more impressive range of construction materials, and funkier designs.

That is not to say cheaper lids (£100-£200) do not do the job they are designed for - they would not be approved otherwise!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A243451

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more