A Conversation for The Wilhelm Scream

Cheating?

Post 1

NPY

Can they not get actors to scream when filming? Surely it'd be easier to record the scream with the rest of the dialogue isntead of spending ages recording a silent scream and then digging round the sfx library for the "perfect scream"?


Cheating?

Post 2

rotundity

Well, they do a lot of sound stuff in post production - there are people called foley editors who add in door slams and footsteps and things, simply because it's easier than getting the microphone in the right place.

Besides, what are you going to do when your lead actor screams like a girl?


Cheating?

Post 3

NPY

Even if your lead actor *is* a girl?

I can see that you don't want an actor falling over a mic or getting it in shot for footsteps or something. But I always thought that actors should be pretty good at doing all their own vocals works. Singing I get being dubbed but only if done well. But a scream....smiley - erm


Cheating?

Post 4

rotundity

Hang on, new idea - retakes!

Voices are delicate things, and giving highpitched, blood curdling screams for ten takes is sure to leave you hoarse, possibly even without your voice.

OK, I don't really know, to be honest. But there must be a good reason.


Cheating?

Post 5

NPY

There muist be some logic behind it, but I'm finding it just a tad bit hard to see.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more