The Good Life:The TV series (aka Good Neighbours)

1 Conversation

The Good Life




A British made classic sitcom. This is a must see, as it is one of the best TV shows of all time. The episodes were first aired from 1975 to 1978, including two follow up episodes. The series was based around Tom (Richard Briers) and Barbara (Felicity Kendall) Good, who, after years of borign themselves silly in the rat race, broke free, and began a life of self-sufficiency. The only drawback was that they didn't want to leave their friends behind, so they decided to remain in the London suburb called Surbiton.

Throughout the run of the show, they can be seen to raise their livestock whenever they have enough money. They upgrade from just crops to chickens, pigs, a goat and eventually a cow. They cope throughout, regardless of storms, oil, and even neighbours determined to stop them. These neighbours are, however, good friends to them, and the important ones are Margot (Penelope Keith) and Jerry Leadbetter (Paul Eddington). Margot enjoys spending Jerry's money, but fortuantely he's a top executive at JJM, Tom's old firm, which is forever trying to get Tom back on the pay role. 'Sir' is always requesting Jerry to invite 'Time and err.... Phatima' round to dinner, along with taking on any foreign business assossiates in need of a place to stay. Margot is always complaining that her
music society isn't up to her standards, and is always after the lead part.

Despite being tempted on many occasions to stray from the self-sufficient path, be it by 'Sir', by money-earning talents, or by catastrophe after catastrophe, they continued onwards with what was so aptly named "The Good Life".


The Cast



Richard Briers





Richard Briers was born on the 14th of January, 1934 in Merton Surrey, England.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2239832

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more