A Conversation for How To Make Juice Wines

This is genius!

Post 21

thomoturk

I made this years ago from a recipe in a book I got from Boots, it worked.
I have bought some all in one packs containing the yeast, ect, & some airlocks & bungs from Ebay & had it fetched over by a family member, instead of demijohns I am using glass storage jars with clingfilm as a seal & drilled the lid to take the bung. I used a weak domestos & water mix to sterilise everything.
I have 8 Lts of peach on the go that I expect will be ready in a fortnight.

I can only get "bakers" yeast localy, so does anyone know of a brand of "bakers" yeast that can be used or a way to make wine yeast???


This is genius!

Post 22

Skankyrich [?]

Brewer's yeast and baker's yeast are very similar, and baker's yeast was actually bred from brewer's yeast.

However the strains are bred to do different jobs: brewer's yeast is designed to withstand (relatively) high alcohol concentrations, whereas baker's yeast is designed to be fast-acting. You could use baker's yeast and it might just work, but I think the chances are your fermentation would become 'stuck' (ie fermentation would not complete because the brew would become saturated with respect to the yeast's ability to produce more alcohol). So you'd end up with a sickly-sweet wine of low alcohol.

Two things you could try:

The reliable method would be to buy some brewer's yeast online. This will also cure a 'stuck' fermentation as above.

The frugal method would be to see if it will self-ferment - usually there is some yeast in cartons of juice (particularly grape juice) and if you just make the brew and leave it quite often you'll find it will start to ferment after a few days. Worth a go if you really don't want to spend any money!


This is genius!

Post 23

thomoturk

Thanks for the quick reply.

Its not they cost of wine yeast, its not available here, I even googled & found a Turkish home wine making site & all their recipes say to use "bread" yeast, but I think they must import the real stuff.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more