Twelve Drummers Drumming

8 Conversations

Welcome to h2g2's attempt to decipher the mystery that is the song 'The 12 Days of Christmas'. You've come to the page that is concentrating on the line Twelve Drummers Drumming, and here's what our Researchers came up with when we asked them what on earth this line meant.

  • Drum solos - please, no! Anyone who has ever sat through the entire length of Led Zeppelin's 'Moby Dick' (off their second album) will be only too aware of how astoundingly boring drum solos in rock music can be, even among the rest of the dross produced by the mind-bendingly pretentious '70s. The very thought of 12 drummers drumming is enough to make you pack away your flares once and for all...

  • Research by the Department of Psychology at the North-east Louisiana University found that the preference for exaggerated bass in music - in other words drum beats you can feel - was associated with impulsiveness and a preference for unusual experiences. The argument went that, since bass sounds in 'primitive' cultures were associated with warfare and uninhibited actions, exaggerated bass may well encourage wild behaviour. Most nightclub bouncers would concur.

  • This line is a metaphor for hangovers, of course. If you don't believe us, you try drinking three bottles of cheap Greek brandy and a crème de menthe chaser. Boom! Boom! Urgh...


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A212356

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more