A Conversation for Twelve Drummers Drumming

Pyschology

Post 1

Cheesy

Low frequencies have an effect on a part of the hindbrain near the nape of the neck. At a frequency of around 2 beats per second, a feeling of euphoria can be induced and sustained periods of exposure can lead to a trance-like state.
This has been used by tribes for a very long time in rituals to connect with the spirits. In may tribes, drugs also contribute to the altered state of consciousness.
More recently, the power of repetitive, heavy bass rythm has also been latched on to in the club scene, giving us dance and trance music and other variations on that theme.


Wall of Sound

Post 2

JuanitaNaneen

How young are the people writing in to this forum? I recall things like Phil Spector and the "Wall of Sound"! You talk about trance inducing, repetitive bass lines? And that disco stuff in the 70's. I am sure that I must have been in a trance to put on that shiny rayon shirt and those high heeled funny shoes with the round toes and go out thinking that I was "looking good." My psychology teacher taught me, alieit many years ago, that the rythym in rock & roll was so loved by so many because it was patterned after the rythym of the heart heard in the womb by all of us who were conceived in that way. Which brings us back to why you would have drummers drumming in the song. Yes, Margaret, we were discussing the song. The drummers represent the heart of the world beating in rythym to the jingle of cash registers on each of the 12 days of Christmas.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more