A Conversation for History of Mad Magazine... Cheap!

Don Martin

Post 1

Mr. Padge

Surely MAD's finest artist was the late and wonderful Don Martin, master of the cartoon sound-effect("brugga-brugga-brugga -THWOON": a ceiling caving in), and whose characters were wonderful lantern-jawed innocents. I still have a paperback I bought in about ?1970? called "Don Martin drops 12 stories" and will NOT send it to the school fair...
smiley - tea


Don Martin

Post 2

compo

One lantern jawed character I remember from eons ago was Carbunkle who always let his normal looking (For Mad magazine)friend,Fester Bestertester,lead him astray.Can't remember if it was Don Martin who drew the characters,but I think it probably was.


Don Martin

Post 3

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

yes both were don martin charachters one of my particticular favs was when he went into a version of singing ing in the rain and in the next frame you see he he was passing a building with a large banner holding ag a spitting contest


Don Martin

Post 4

Jerk Gently in The USA

Yeah..thats a classic.. I can see it now

some of Don's earlier work is pretty bazzar

Don Martin Passed away some years ago, ive got a news paper article somewhere anouncing it. smiley - wah

He did some work for Cracked Magazine too or maybe it was Crazy! Mag
I forget which but i own it none the less


Don Martin

Post 5

compo

Called in a book shop in Scarborough a couple of weeks ago and,lo and behold,what was on the shelf - Don Martin Comes On Strong.Needless to say,it didn't stay there very long.Certainly brought back many memories and still raised a smile or few.


Don Martin

Post 6

Jerk Gently in The USA

Im glad you enjoyed it, I think I have all of Don Martins books.
Im a collector of all things Mad, I even aquired a Alfred E Neuman bobble head doll last summer.
smiley - smiley


Don Martin

Post 7

Mat

I read MAD's Don Martin Steps Further Out about twenty-something years ago. It was full of FLADDA FLADDA and SQUOINK effects. (SQUOINK is the noise when you accidentally poke yourself in the eye with a towel rail when getting out of the shower.)

FOING-SAPPP is the sound of someone having bent back a steel saw and letting it recoil and hit somebody in the face. smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more