Escape Pod Dreams - 50

1 Conversation

Fourth Anniversary for Post, 50th column for Me

The New New blob


Congratulations to the POST team, shame on me...


As I write this, Uvula and Shnooks are off having Thanksgiving lunch at the house of a nursing service client of Uvula's. She had to work today, but she was given permission to take her family over.

I didn't go because I don't like holidays much that don't involve museums or televised incidents of nude female volleyball.

I also don't like dealing with strangers in their own homes. There's so much in other people's homes to look at and play with and so many reasons why I can't. I'd probably end up avoiding the room with the TV in it 'cause I just know that there is a game on of some sort, and it ain't nude female volleyball.

So, they are doing what they want to do and I am sitting here doing what I want... avoiding feetball and strangers.

ANYWAY...

I got involved with this POST business through AGG/GAG/CAC, which is moribund at the moment until Jwf can find someone else to do most of the work. Through the helpful offices of Shazz and Pastey, I learned to do some Guide ML and some formatting of pages.

Through the offices of the original AGG/GAG crew I was taught my very first lessons in Guide ML and a lot about the site and my computer, and I was provided a venue for my stuff, which included fake obituaries, bad poetry, and fiction of a dubious nature.

It was in an AGG/GAG/CAC issue that the first Escape Pod Dreams hit the screens.

It was, for most of the first twenty odd or so issues, a parody of a public radio station like the ones that hide at the end of the dials on the FM band in the US

Eventually, I ran out of old and new scripts, and lapsed into the current format of writing pretty much whatever comes to mind.

As Pinniped remarked recently, my Entry list on my personal space is really long.
When you consider that I write (or at least type) four entries for each column, the math is fairly simple.
That's not including the stuff I cranked out for AGG/GAG and the twelve or so Guide Entries I've attempted,
out of which only one has ever been accepted into the Guide.

******************

I would like to thank the staff and the crew of H2g2 and the POST for allowing me a venue to spew in.

I would like to thank the veterans of AGG/GAG/CAC for giving me my start and letting me realise that, though there might not really be a market for this stuff, nobody's gonna complain too much.

I would also like to thank the cast and crew of the POST, past and current, for sticking with what may seem occasionally to be a thankless job.

Obligatory Poem: A Genuflection in the direction of His Dougieness

What Hath Doug Wrought?


Wherefore on the Net,

Do such communinity persist?

Where be such a group of scribblers as this?

And where be such a Host as the POST?

Only here and nothing more.

The exciting, the erudity and the boring,

All tiny ships attached to Dougy's mooring.

I don't mean to slight ol' Auntie one little bit,

But I think she found the fire already lit,

On this raging brainstorm from a curious git.

So raise a glass, a stein, a keg and salute

The father of the beast

In whose belly we now stew,

The marvellous, magnificent, irridescent,

And profoundly irritating....

H2G2!

Graphic by Wotchit

The Escape Pod Dreams
Archive

(tonsil revenge)

04.12.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A2096444

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more