Using a Cartridge Pen Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Using a Cartridge Pen

2 Conversations

Cartridge pens are a form of fountain pen. The difference between conventional fountain pens and this class is that cartridge pens get their ink from a disposable ink cartridge, which is a small plastic container that fits into the pen. When the ink runs short, the cartridge can be replaced. Fountain pens that have one permanent cartridge, and they get their ink from bottles. By dipping the pen into the bottle and pressing a button, ink is sucked up into the pen. Ink for both of these pens come in a few different colours, which is a very nice added bonus for the user. Another difference between the two pens is that the refillable fountain pen blots a bit easier than its disposable cartridge cousin.

The anatomy of different fountain pens (cartridge pens included) are all quite similar. All of these pens have an internal source of ink: a reservoir and a nib. The reservoir is in the barrel (the longest part of the pen) and holds the cartridge. The nib is the tip of the pen that touches the paper and lets the ink out onto it. Nibs come in different sizes, and are classified as fine, medium, broad, 2B, 4B 6B and so on. These options are very useful for making very fine or thick lines.

Managing a Cartridge Pen

When a cartridge pen user first gets hold of an ink cartridge, it should be sealed on one end with a temporary closure to prevent leakage. Cartridges can have different types of seal. For example, some that are popular in Germany and the United States are stopped up at the end with a small sphere. When that sphere is pushed back into the ink, the ink can disperse around it and will flow. In some other cartridges that are more widely known in the United Kingdom, the cartridge is sealed with a plastic film that is punctured in order to release the ink. No matter the type of cartridge or pen that is being used, the cartridge replacement is performed the same way.

There are many different kinds of cartridges in the world, so there are different guidelines and rules of insertion. Some are almost as long as the barrel itself, while others are only about half that size. Long cartridges should be put into the pen by sliding the cartridge, with the sealed end facing the user, into the barrel. Short cartridges have a different method. First, it should be put into the pen, seal first. Then another cartridge should be put in, sealed end facing out. The remaining steps are the same for either type of pen. Then the nib or nib section, the part of the pen that is attached to the nib, should be screwed onto the barrel. When the cartridge has been opened it will make a clicking noise. The disposing of these cartridges is another matter.

To remove a cartridge from a pen, the pen should be unscrewed and the empty cartridge should be taken out by hand. Once removed, cartridges should be thrown away or recycled. Users with short cartridges will find that the one in the back of the pen can be used again in the back or the front.

One disadvantage of these graceful utensils are that they can be quite expensive. Prices vary: for example, cheap novelty pens are available for less than two pounds, while top-name gold-plated pens are a bit more budget-bursting. Ink cartridges, however, aren't too costly, and this is good because the average user usually needs quite a few.

Another thing that the users of cartridge pens should be wary of is the mess the pens can produce. Ink by itself is a messy sort of thing, so a little concern is necessary. Between cracked nibs, open cartridges, and leakage of ink, things can get chaotic. However, if you are gentle with your pen and treat it with care, you should have only a few (or better yet, no) messy pen encounters.

Lines

There are two types of lines that a calligraphy artist (or typical pen-user) should be able to make before elaborating too much with a cartridge pen. One is a thin stroke, made by turning the pen so the nib is lined up vertically from an aerial view, and moving it up and down so it makes a (surprise!) thin line. The second is a thick stroke: in order to do this, follow the directions for making a thin line, except move the pen so the nib is moving against the paper sideways.

Conclusion

Like all arts, using a cartridge pen takes practice, and quite a bit of it! Just because the user isn't immediately adept at using a cartridge pen and making perfect loops, lines, curves, and letters doesn't mean that they're hopeless and should give up. They should start on scrap paper until they learn how not to make bubbly uneven lines and then move on to new paper when they are confident they won't be wasting it.

All fountain pens, not just disposable cartridge fountain pens, can make beautiful art: long, flowing swoops of a sage green hue; bold statements of bright red; a subtle blue inscription of deep sorrow; or anything else the user (or calligrapher) wishes to express. With the many available options at hand to those who choose to practise the wonderful art of calligraphy (or for that matter make day-to-day inscriptions), there are no limits.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A18718969

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more