A Conversation for Using a Cartridge Pen

We pesky awkward sinistrals

Post 1

AgProv2

Nice Entry and very informative.

But one question left begging is this - is it the case that conventional nibbed pens (fountain or cartridge) are bad news for the left-hander, as they are somehow configured for right-handers only? I could never see how this could be so, as the nib looked symettrical: I just know I could never use one of those pens to save my life as it all goes belly-up in a mist of blots and blurs very quickly.

And at a time when conventionally nibbed pens were all that was available for skills, this might act as some sort of practical justification for the horror story we hear of old, of naturally left-handed kids being forced to write with their wrong hand, even with their left hand strapped up or tied so it could not be used. This isn't just to satisfy some mad sadistic teacher's lust for uniformity, or an assertion of power over the kids, but a practical matter of teaching writing with the standard tool available (a school pen which was not designed to be used in the left hand. Period)


We pesky awkward sinistrals

Post 2

ongewoon

I'm not left handed but I can remember clearly seeing knibs that were specially made for those of your pursuasion.
The problem with writing with a fountain pen with your left hand is that you tend to push the knib accross the paper rather than pull it, so you get scratches and accompanying blots rather than a smooth flow.
The knib's tip was bent to the left so that effectively you are pushing rather than pulling and it seemed to work very well.
I'm positive you can still get them but you'd probably have to go to a specialist shop or order one.
I'm not a foutain pen nerd, rather someone who enjoys employing hard learned writing skills whenever I can to produce something that is not only beautiful to look at but also says something abut yourself. It is flattering to the recipient that you made a bit of an effort and is also personal.
Every year in my theater we have a couple of "stagieres" (can't remember the english term at this precise moment, but they're students getting a bit of practical experience) whose handwriting is ugly, untidy, a bit childish and barely legible. It's not their fault, they are expected to write vast quantities for projects and thesese and it is far quicker on a computer, but I do know that they think attractive handwiting is very cool!
I hope I haven't gone on for too long, maybe one day you'll be able to use your own handwriting on h2g2.


We pesky awkward sinistrals

Post 3

ongewoon

This is a reply to myself! I meant that the left hand knib allows you to PULL rather than PUSH.


We pesky awkward sinistrals

Post 4

mindchatham

Well, I'm not left handed, but I do know that you can order left handed nibs. Again, I'm not left handed and don't know for sure what the difference is, but I know you can get them. I'm sure, if you didn't want to get any, that you could try using regular nibs, but it may not work out so well.

Hope that answers your question!

MCsmiley - surfer


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Using a Cartridge Pen

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more