A Conversation for Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Rented Accommodation

Post 1

Little Behemoth (sulking)

I am moving to Amsterdam in the near future, but I am very concerned that I won't be able to find anywhere to live.

Can anyone offer any advice about finding somewhere to rent? I thought a rent of about 1500 guilders a month for a one-bed flat was a reasonable guess, but the more I look into it, the more it looks like they'll be too expensive.

I have heard that it takes less than two hours to get to A'dam from anywhere else in the Netherlands, but I really would prefer to live in the city itself. Are there cheap areas? Is it alot cheaper to rent privately, rather than going through agencies? Is it true that Landlord's can legally demand ridiculously high prices from foreign imigrants (although I'm EU, I will have to work for years to get permanent residency)? Is it true that if you make a casual statement about liking a flat it is a legally binding tenancy agreement?

Finally, how does anyone afford to rent places for 2000 NLG + if you lose about 50% in tax and other deductions from your wages?


Rented Accommodation

Post 2

ZenMondo

I had two somewhat successful strategies when it came to living in A'dam.

1) I had a girlfriend and lived with her. That worked pretty good, but ofcourse when I got booted out of the relationship, I got booted out of the apartment, the city, the country ....

2) Work Black. Working under the counter avoids all the taxes. But its kind of bad. You don't have the protections and perks of working legitmatly, and its not helpfull to getting working papers. (My first job was trimming pot, the next was being a Systems Administrator!)

Another alternative for you if you are adventerous is to find a squat where you can stay while you look for other accomodations.


Rented Accommodation

Post 3

Little Behemoth (sulking)

Thanks for the advice, but the work is all above board and arranged (even got SOFI number, etc). I'm just afraid that I won't be able to find anywhere to live - argh!

Any other advice anyone, please, would be very welcome. I go in a month...


Rented Accommodation

Post 4

Sniggly - Researcher 146370

"Cheap" areas would be in Amsterdam North across the Ij (the harbour) and in places around the city such as Amstelveen. There's also De Bijlmer which by some is considered a ghetto but you can most likely get a sizeable appartment there for a moderate cost, and some areas are less disreputable and actually make good living.

The city center is mostly old buildings that are a) hideously expensive, b) cold and moist, c) fashionable 4) noisy to live in. To get living space around the city center you either need good connections, lots of money (which will provide you with good connections) or have been on a waiting list for 15 years.

A landlord cannot charge you more than they would anyone else, but usually they're smart alecks and will try to grab as much of your loot as they can. Casual statements about you liking the appartment cannot be interpreted as an agreement. You need to sign otherwise one of your odd 100 competitors might smiley - smiley


Rented Accommodation

Post 5

Little Behemoth (sulking)

Thanks for all your help. Any more would be welcomed. I leave really soon. A friend used to live north of the Ij and they recommended it too. When I visited I really enjoyed the ferry slamming into the harbour and making all the bikes fall over smiley - winkeye


Rented Accommodation

Post 6

Little Behemoth (sulking)

Leaving for the Dam in a few days. Any further info re: rented accommodation would be appreciated. Where would you recommend? Is it true that people have to apply for the privilege to live in certain places (for much cheaper rent)? Definately not going to live in the centre, probably the 'burbs. Anyone know a particular nice one, or a great agent?
Any help would be greatly welcomed smiley - smiley


Rented Accommodation

Post 7

rorschach

Is there anyone out there still looking for somewhere to stay in Amsterdam? I've compiled a list of housing agencies that I needed when I was house-hunting too (I'm sure that I'll need it again in the future, unless my girlfriend lets me move in with her!), and I don't mind sharing the info. Your fee will be a 'vaasje' when you arrive in the city, only kidding...! Seriously though, Amsterdam is a strange place - it's so densely packed, yet Amsterdammers almost never invite you into their homes. It's got something to do with their fierce protection of living space. I've held three parties at my 140m2 apartment in two months, but I've never received an invitation in reply. Weird, huh? No, that's just Dutch...


Rented Accommodation

Post 8

Crescent

Hey rorschach smiley - smiley I would like that list smiley - smiley Been thinking of moving from this increasingly facist police state to the Netherlands smiley - smiley Cheers smiley - smiley Until later...
BCNU - Crescent


Rented Accommodation

Post 9

rorschach

Thanks for your response! If you're looking to move over here, I guess that you've been here before, so you will know the powerful hold that Amsterdam has on many people who come here, and wish to stay longer. It certainly worked on me... twice! Anyway, the list of housing agencies is currently on my Psion palmtop (where I used it to keep track of what houses were available, for the few hours that they actually were!), but I'll be installing some new software this weekend, so I will try to convert the database I concocted into something that's readable with a PC at the same time. When there is something worth having, I'll fire it over to you. In a different vein, I took a peek at your page, and noticed that you have a few gaps in the listings for Amsterdam and cultural things related to it. Do you want a hand writing up some material in certain areas? If so, just say what kind of thing you're particularly looking for, and I can have a go at it. Regards...


Rented Accommodation

Post 10

Crescent

Cheers smiley - smiley That would be magic smiley - smiley As you can see from my homespace I have started a load of things, but the last few months have been a nightmare at work smiley - sadface But when I get back to writing again, (which should be soon smiley - smiley I would appreciate some help, definately smiley - smiley Thank you smiley - smiley Well, work is still calling smiley - sadface Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


Rented Accommodation

Post 11

Little Behemoth (sulking)

Hi. Just a short, not helpful at all note to say that I'm glad it wasn't just me who had a nightmare moving to A'dam. Lol. It is such a hectic rush. Homeseekers were a very useful and enthusiastic english-speaking agent though, you might be able to talk to them before you arrive and try to set up some appointments.

The other thing I would mention is that flats seem to be around 2000 guilders and upwards per month.. it's quite rare to get cheaper flats, particularly through agencies that cater to non-dutch speaking people. If you become a resident though you can join the immense waiting list of people for cheap accommodation though.. only takes years. lol. That 2000 guilders will pay for a studio in Central or for a much bigger apartment outside the canal ring, particularly in the outlying areas. The further away you move, the cheaper it gets... depends on what you want I guess.. (and what you can find.. lol)

There you go. Said it wouldn't be helpful. But good luck anyway! (I too had a long list of agencies and contacts, but I'm afraid to say I ripped it up with gay abandon when I finally moved into my flat. smiley - smiley Sorry...)


Key: Complain about this post