A Conversation for Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Chicago Boom?

Post 1

Weird Sister

The last time I went to Amsterdam (that's almost two years ago)I heard a lot about a theatre group/ comedy show/ ?? called, if I'm not mistaken, Chicago Boom. (BTW they publish a very sympathetic and informative city guide - that's how I learned about them.) It sounded interesting - has anyone been to their shows? Is it worth it, or was that just self-praise? (I am toying with the thought of going to Amsterdam this summer, and it seems you have to book tickets rather in advance)


Chicago Boom?

Post 2

ZenMondo

When I lived in Amsterdam (1995) I caught a Chicago Boom show. I remember enjoying it. It was sketch-comedy and song, and I remember it being a fun time. I think I ate a pizza while there. There was a lot of sketches showing the clash of American and Amsterdam (not neccisarrily Dutch) culture. I also remember after the show there being a second show of stand-up comedy and I think there might have been an additional cover charge for that, but I don't remember.


Chicago Boom?

Post 3

Bas

I've never been to Boom Chicago (as it is called), but saw some recordings of it on television. And I have to advice you to be sure there's an English speaking comedian on. Apart from that: it's fun.

Also, a few years ago the Boom Chicago theatre has moved to the Leidseplein.


Chicago Boom?

Post 4

InertiaMan


The Chicago Boom was still in full swing (as of Summer last year) at a theatre (as mentioned above) in the Leidseplein. The format is that of a comedy revue. They were a bunch of US students who visited Amsterdam for a break and decided to set up shop.

Despite the fact that most of them have been there for many years, the comedy is still from the perspective of a visitor to Amsterdam. This makes it a good place to learn some local ways and places while having a laugh along the way.

They produce a free magazine a few times a year with a lean but highly informative and relevant city guide.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more