A Conversation for Paperclips
Semisomna Started conversation May 17, 2002
I have a rather urgent question:
What, exactly, are paperclips made of? The normal, metal ones, I mean. Because I have observed that certain varieties get little sparkly things all over your hands when you try to bend them into earrings, and I wondered whether those are toxic. Similarly, when I spent several hours last year making long chains of interestingly bent paperclips (of a different variety - the kind that stains one's hands gray rather than losing sparkly things), I felt rather...interesting. Do paper clips cause brain damage? Is it harmful to wear them through your ears like earrings? What about eating off of them?
NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625) Posted Jun 18, 2002
The sparkly stuff is most likely due to your clips being chromed, and the gray stains are metal oxide and/or dirt. Everything is harmful if you ingest large enough amounts and I'm no toxologist, so I won't attempt to tell you when you need to worry, but unless you eat several boxes or straighten the pins and show them into your brain I don't think you'll suffer braindamage. On the other hand I wouldn't use them as earrings. Stuffing unknown alloys into holes in your body is a good way to get allergies.
Key: Complain about this post