Small Screen Surfin'

0 Conversations

Small Screen Surfer by Wotchit

Small Screen Surfin... what exactly does that mean? Obviously it has the immediate television referal, but it also has many loop-holes in what should be its content.

The Post archive does not state that my column is reviews of televisual programming and, as such, the meaning of surfing the TV could have numerous implications.

The TV from which I work1 allows me to watch TV series, of course, but also made-for-TV movies and 'premieres' which could give just cause for an occasional film review, though unlikely.

Not only that, but computer games and radio (yes radio)...

So that almost irrelevant speech leads to this week's... erm... thing, as I try to voice a few movies/computer games that could, if done right, have good TV spin-offs...

1) The Indiana Jones trilogy

Yes there is Young Indiana Jones Chronicles but aside from being bad, have little in common with the Ford movies.

What I mean is, say, a series of one hour episodes that give a Harrison Ford act/lookalike which capture the adventure and serial idea that Lucas first saw (which is why 'Young Indy' has no excuse).

The video-games have been well made in contrast to the 'Chronicles', with silly titles that match the movie trilogy:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis;

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine;

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
.


Or a 'Doctor Who'-esque series where 4,5 or 6 episodes are one plot.

This would go well to tie in with the upcoming fourth movie: 'Indiana Jones and the Rickity Zimmerframe'2.

2) Johnny English

Since the movie was successful (and good) even though derived from a series of 3-minute adverts, a thirty minute programme should be feasibly funny.

Almost certainly a popular ITV1 Wednesday/Saturday night comedy and would be something different to the rehashes or repeats of shows.

It would demand Rowan Atkinson and Ben Miller in their character roles, but would plot be a priority? I wouldn't think so if the Blackadder/Mr Bean3 style comedy was in place. The Barclaycard adverts showed us this with quick one-liners.

3) Resident Evil

I can picture Awix screaming at this thought if being read, but I'm talking about the popular video-game series and not the movie namesake which which was like having your fingernails pulled off each finger then being attached to the walls with metallic nails through your fingertips and crotch.

The games followed an intricate plot of horror and betrayal with none of this 'Red Queen' nonsense.

In 1998, the Racoon City Police Department's task force, S.T.A.R.S.4 Bravo team disappear along with their helicopter in Racoon City's outskirts near an old mansion when sent to investigate reports of 'a group of about ten' whom have been attacking people, their victims apparently eaten.

Thus S.T.A.R.S. Alpha team is sent to find Bravo along with any witnesses, revealing the mystery around the mansion area.

I could see this show working in the same vain as Stargate SG-1 but with more suspense and thrills.

The story stars Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine, along with squad leader, Albert Wesker5 and... Barry... when they 'escape' to the mansion from an attack by savage dogs after their helicopter abandons them.

They go for the good 'ole 'let's split up to look for a way out' routine, and as such, Wesker disappears.

Redfield and Jill/Barry separate only to discover the bizarre goings on inside the old mansion with its strange security, the Umbrella Corporation, and the deadly T-Virus.

I'm sure this could work! The stupid key system of the doors would be dropped (they have guns, why look for a key with certain engravings to open wooden doors with regular knobs?!) but the puzzle elements could add suspense.

Say, ten episodes for the series giving the variety in zombie hoardes unlike the movie which had workers and a pointless computer generated thing. The monsters in the game (eg Yawn the Snake, Plant 42 and Neptune the Shark) were genetic freaks that were experiments and accidents with the characters having to get past them to switch something off, or get through, or save a survivor.

The game sequels have/had stories in themselves along with the main context of the series which would be ample ammo for more episodes and the fact that the events happen over a few small hours would gain appeal!

4) The Matrix??

Story following a member of last human city Zion to help in espionage? Bullet time and martial arts would sell it as a cult sci-fi. Could work.

5) Highlander  or  The One

You can hear the screams of 'Nooooooooooooooooo!' to 'The One' but either of these series done properly could be quite entertaining on the small screen. Spin-offs each, but have the background plots for a decent series. Especially Highlander with its swordwork. As long as it wasn't like the actual TV series, yes.

6) Final Fantasy

The film was rubbish but the games were good because they made sense!

With Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, the time is ripe for an animated, or live action series based on the games.

The games followed the plot of a group of species out to save the world from something. Each game different, each game with the trademark animals and settings (and names) that defined what they were.

As each game stood alone, there needn't be any taking from the games apart from the familiars: the chicken-like but rode like horses, Chocobos and the ever present Cid (and Biggs and Wedge but that would be copyright difficulty. Biggs and Wedge were a pair that had cameos in most of the games. They almost die everytime as well...).

Final Fantasy VII would be perfect. A group of futuristic eco-warriors fight to save the planet from corrupt leaders, or Final Fantasy VIII where mercenaries called 'SeeD's would be sent across the world to help people in need.

Well I'm done for the week. Tell me what you think, or think what you would tell me.

'Til next time, keep Surfin' those waves people!

Small Screen Surfin'
Archive

HPB

25.09.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1On digibox people.2There is a fourth, regardless of my 'humour'.3Not the animated Bean.4Special Tactics and Rescue Service.5Who looks like Agent Smith from the Matrix.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1297127

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more