A Conversation for Public Toilets

part & parcel?

Post 1

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Oh to be in English now...
I believe the phrase is "part and partial"..
But hay I'm the last one to be pedantic and rave on about apostrophe's or less and fewers'..
I'm just glad to have found a site with some intelligents.


part & parcel?

Post 2

wide_inside

ooohhh.... bad gag.
The thing you forgot to mention is "The Rule Of Equidistance".
This rule states that in a gents toilet, while standing at urinals or the "p**s trough", you should at all times be as far away from every other patron as possible. This will involve dividing all spaces between current "p*****s" by two, to work out where is the most spacious "p**s place". Any disregarding of this rule will result in a general shiftyness of the "p****r" you are closest to.

wide


part & parcel?

Post 3

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I've never really been able to get 'close' to anyone. I think it's my breath.


part & parcel?

Post 4

Einhard

...which brings up the aforeneglected prime rule of gents urnial interaction: anyone who startles, bumps, distracts, or otherwise interferes with normal relief operations shall become the p***ee, as men lose any ability to think clearly when in front of the trough. The lack of enlightened conversation in the lou is but one example - the "clever" scrawlings on the walls are another.


Removed

Post 5

wide_inside

This post has been removed.


part & parcel?

Post 6

wide_inside

I was removed. I said "Piss" about a hundred times, just because it annoys me that I can't.

wide


part & parcel?

Post 7

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I must admit it certainly is a challenge for adults not to swear when they are told they can't. Or to write in a forum called 'public toilets' without 'taking the p**s' as the Brits so colourfully put it. One of the great joys of being an adult is being able to do what you couldn't do as a child. A greater joy perhaps, comes when you decide for yourself not to behave like a child. But it's like red flags and bulls... When adults are 'treated like children' by over-supervision, restrictions, prohibitions and 'moderation' it is only natural for them to get p*****d off and act childishly. But I'm glad I saw your explanation of what you said about the post that got removed before the explanation also gets moderated. If you had said p**s instead of p**s I might have thought you said pass, pets, puss, pits, paws, pros, plus, pars, peas, etc etc and become completely confused about the true deeper meaning of your posting..... ZZZ...zzz...ZZZ.


part & parcel?

Post 8

Researcher 170889

I have always heard it as 'part and parcel'. 'Parcel' was an old term for 'piece' - as in a 'parcel' of land. This is spelled and pronounced in some rural parts of the USA (and in cowboy books and movies) as 'passel'. Usually to say somebody has a 'whole passel of kids'. In this sense it seems to mean 'group'. So it may mean 'piece' or 'pieces' as in a share or allotment. Haven't looked this up - just guessing...


part & parcel?

Post 9

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Ah, there you are 170889. You do seem to be getting around pretty good, and posting in lots of places. I mentioned elsewhere that you should open up your homepage with an entry but you seem to be doing just fine without it.

Thanks for 'passel'! This part and partial thing has gotten me yelled at by lots of folks in various places. I remember reading about it years ago but can never remember where or who said it. And everyone diagrees with me.
It made an impression on me because 'parcel' is a package to my ear and 'partial' made more sense, being a constituent and essential 'part' of a thing. I have resisted correction from many people ..but 'passel' may well be the origin and therefore parcel would be acceptable.
Thanks, for the enlightenment. I no longer feel obliged to wrongly re-educate the world ..and may even concede to using 'part and PARCEL' myself henceforth.
Seriously, thanks.


Key: Complain about this post