A Conversation for Backpacking in Bangkok

Leaving Bangkok

Post 1

timZwan

A note to consider when you decided it is time to leave Bangkok. You can book cheap minibuses in Kao San Road (from any of the travel agencys of in you hostel) to take you to the airport. This is great just remember it takes a while to get there with the ever present gridlock (2 hours ish the last time I when). However, more important than allowing for time breathing in you last Thai fumes is actually getting on the Bus. Make sure you don't rely on you Hostle staff to wake you up at 6am. They will probably be ingrossed in some early morning run of the latest hollywood bootleg video and completely forget to give you a wakeup call as reqested. You'll end up with a knock on the door at exactly 5.59am (just as the bus is due to leave), 1 hour later than you asked for! So you'll end up running down the road with your backpack stuffed full of everything you could see in your room, including the bedsheets(you don't want to forget you specail backpackers bum bag), carrying your shoes in your hands.
Luckily for me the bus was a little late and I got my flight to Hong Kong okay, but I never did find that blue sock or the extra strong Mosquito spray.


Leaving Bangkok

Post 2

timZwan

I've updated this info with a new entry, see my researchers page....


Leaving Bangkok

Post 3

Spot-on

Fake Rolex for £9.00! That's inflation for you. In Jalan Petaling, a famous street market in Kuala Lumpur, is the stall of Mr. Robin B'astard (no really, that' s what his sign says): he's a greay guy, Malaysian Chinese, who claims to be born and bred Australian (unless you're Australian, in which case he's a Cockney) - this may not be the truth. He sold me a number of Rolex's in '95/'96 which are 'copies' ( he will not deal in fakes!) and many of them proved to be waterproof. He never charged more than £5.00 and, once a relationship was established, sold them at £2.50. Bangkok prices were reputed to be lower.

If in K.L. he's worth a visit.


Leaving Bangkok

Post 4

Sultandude(Lover of Princess Toy of the 1000 Kisses)-Keeper of Go-Go Bars-aka Kabuki Man

If you have to leave Bangkok, it's a little more civilized these days with overhead express tollways, skytrains, and a new international terminal 2. There is even a Haufbrau house with a micro brewery and yummmy pretzels. Check out the metered cabs, no haggling and cheap.Fake watches have gone up in price, but then we are getting 50% more bahts to the £ these days.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more