A Conversation for The Potters Bar Zeppelin

Zeppelins in PB?

Post 1

Pimms

Thanks for an interesting story. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was rewarded by a well researched and informative bit of history.
smiley - ok


Zeppelins in PB?

Post 2

Lbclaire

Yes, another beautifully-written piece, Pinniped, with just the right touch of respect and humanity.

smiley - smiley Lbclaire


Zeppelins in PB?

Post 3

Icy North

Fascinating piece. smiley - ok

I'm sure that anyone who enjoyed this would also enjoy your latest article on the Battle of Orgreave, which is going through Peer Review at the moment. (A9361334)


Zeppelins in PB?

Post 4

Len (Snowie) Baynes

In 1929 I was 10 years old, and in those days we did not go on holiday. However we children attended East Barnet Methodist Church (then a corrigated iron building), who gave the children a day's outing (or Sunday School Treat) once a year; and this year it was to be to a farm in Potters Bar.
We lived opposite the East Barnet 'Prince of Wales' pub, and it was on their forecourt that the chars-a-bank pulled in for us to embark, early one Saturday morning.
On arriving at our destination, before the 'Bean Feast' we were allowed to wander round the farmer's fields; I had a craze then, searching for treasure, and spent my time seeking what I could find in the plentiful hedgerows.
What I found was a strange looking irregular twisted piece of aluminium trellis (the nearest word I can think of to describe it).
When I took it home, Dad didn't recognise it, and took it to show a friend, who told him it was a piece of a zeppelin, shot down in the war.
I was a pupil at Margaret Road School, New Barnet, and took it to show my teacher. It was given a place of honour in the school museum. I wonder if it's still there?


Zeppelins in PB?

Post 5

Pinniped


Thanks allsmiley - smiley

And Len - that's a fine addition to the tale. Thanks for telling us.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Potters Bar Zeppelin

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more