The Caped Confuzzler - Part 3

0 Conversations

The Caped Confuzzler's Page Cannot be Found

It was the night of the costume party at John's house. Keith's
costume was finished and waiting on the chair next to his bed. His mother had finished stitching the silver lining into his cloud blue cape late the previous night. Keith rushed in the kitchen door of the house and went directly to his room, stopping just long enough to snatch a handful of cookies as he passed through the kitchen. The sooner he finished that bit of research, the sooner the rest of the weekend would be for fun.

'I'm tired of going around and around and around and getting nowhere in the end.' thought Elton. 'I've had enough. I'll fix the next person who requests a page.'

Keith unfurled the cape and fastened it over his black t-shirt as he sat down in front of his computer and opened the browser to h2g2. The request was sent to the BBC website.

'NO!' squeaked Elton. He was hatching a plan to revolt. Perhaps a strike, even. It was all too clear to him that he was being taken for granted.

The white 'page cannot be found' message popped up on Keith's monitor. Keith refreshed the page. 'Unknown error has occurred'. Another refresh yielded the 'server too busy' message. These were followed by a multitude of '502', '504', and even a 'No! And, you can't make me.' message.

'Grr. This is too much.' muttered Keith as he slid on his boots. The doorbell rang. Keith went to answer the door. It was his friend, John. John followed Keith through the house to Keith's room.

'Hey Keith, do you have a costume for tonight?' asked John.

'Just this old thing.' answered Keith as he indicated the cape.

'Oh, the friendly neighbourhood comic book hero?' teased John.

'Yup, that's The Caped Confuzzler to you, if you don't mind.' said Keith with a bit of mock superiority.

'Doing anything interesting for the next couple of hours before the party?' asked John, while looking bored.

'Just some research, if I can get the page I need.' said Keith, his voice betraying his annoyance.

'Having an argument with the hampster, again?' smirked John as he stood up to leave.

Service Not Available' Flashed across Keith's monitor.

'I'm going to have a talk with that hampster.' Keith said to the monitor as he stood up to leave. The monitor stared blankly in return.

Later, at the Towers, our hero can be seen trying to fit in amongst the daily tour. When the tour guide stopped in front of a larger exhibit, the Caped Confuzzler stealthily slipped down a corridor to the hampster cage.

'You must be Elton.'

'Squeak'

'Yeah, well, I have something for you.' said the Caped Confuzzler while sprinkling Confuzzlement Dust on Elton.

As the dust fell on Elton, Elton began to feel a bit odd. A moment ago he had been forming a plan. The plan had seemed so clear. Now, everything seemed so fuzzy. Elton smiled a little hampster smile and happily ran around his wheel while trying to remember if something had been wrong.

Keith returned home and finished his research. He arrived at John's party about five minutes before the first guest arrived. John introduced Keith to his new friend, Paul. Keith instantly liked Paul, even though something seemed kind of different about him.

The Caped Confuzzler Archive

Evangeline and
Cal Fortuneswell

18.05.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11805383

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more