A Conversation for 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu

REPEATING INDEFINITE INFORMATION

Post 1

Charityplayer

Unreliable Biographical Scribblings from as long as 300 years after Sun Tzu was alive don't include Definite Information, (just like The Iraq Dossier), other than Repeating the Spurious Tale of how Sun Tzu Convinced his King that He Knew how to train Soldiers.

According to this Unsubstantiated Story, Sun-Tzu was already an accomplished military SCHOLAR when he was INTERVIEWED by King Ho-lĂș.

Asked to give A Demonstration of his THEORIES, Sun-Tzu CREATED two company formations out of 300 of the Kings' Concubines, appointing two of the Kings' Favourites as company commanders.

Master Sun equipped the Concubines with Weapons and Armour, Explained and Demonstrated a set of Drill Movements, and Ordered them to Perform the Drill.

The Concubines Laughed at the Order. Patiently, Sun-Tzu Repeated his Explanation and Demonstration, and Again gave the Order.

Again, the concubines laughed.

Sun-Tzu remarked:

If the Instructions are not clear, if the Orders are Not Obeyed, it is the Fault of the General.

But if the Instructions are clear and the soldiers still do Not Obey, it is the Fault of their Officers.

He then Summoned the Kings' Executioner and, despite The Kings' Protests, Master Sun had the two concubine commanders Beheaded.

New commanders were appointed from the ranks, and this time when Sun-Tzu gave the Order, Voila! The Concubines Performed the required drill movements perfectly.

(When asked why he Did Not Heed The Kings' Protests and Request to Spare His Favourites, Sun-Tzu replied,

'Once a general is directing his troops, he should reject further interference from his sovereign.')

While shocked by the loss of His Favourites, The King was nonetheless impressed by Sun-Tzus' CHARACTER and UNDERSTANDING OF WARFARE, and Appointed him as A General.




WOT A FUNNY STORY

WHY DID THE CROWN EXECUTIONER OBEY MASTER SUN AND NOT HIS OWN EMPEROR

HOW DID MASTER SUN GET A REPUTATION FOR BEING A HUMANITARIAN

WHY DID MASTER SUN DEMONSTRATE HIS METHOD WITH CONCUBINES INSTEAD OF OFFICERS AND MEN OF THE KINGS' ARMY

WHY DID MASTER SUN NOT JOIN THE KINGS' ARMY AS A HUMBLE FOOT SOLDIER IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF TURNING UP FOR A JOB INTERVIEW AND USURPING AND EXERCISING THE kINGS' DIVINE RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KINGS' GENERALS AND THE KINGS' COURT


WHY DID MASTER SUN NOT ORDER THE CONCUBINE ARMY TO STRIP AND DANCE FOR THE EMPEROR, OR BEBEHEADED INSTEAD OF BE BEDDED.




smiley - dragon


REPEATING INDEFINITE INFORMATION

Post 2

Charityplayer




THE ART OF WAR
IS TO WIN HANDS DOWN,
FOR SAD IS THE SITE
OF A BATTLE LOST

AND SADDER STILL,
IS THE SIGHT OF A BATTLE WON,
SAID THE IRON DUKE,
AS HE COUNTED THE COST



smiley - dragon


REPEATING INDEFINITE INFORMATION

Post 3

TaijiDave

The end did justify the means.
The story was about human behaviour, the class system and the fact, the stick is always more productive than the carrot.
The idea of concubines was not just poetic licence to add colour to the story, but no matter how raw the material, anybody could be worked.
The art of war is now taught in business in south east asia, Japan in particular. Essential board room reading. American business schools have also been reading a bit more in to it over the last five years.
Now thyself first ?


REPEATING INDEFINITE INFORMATION

Post 4

Charityplayer

The Story is a load of crap.

The Principle that the Story purports to convey; is the Old One that says, that the Way to get a soldier to Obey Any Order is to Convince him that his only other Option is Instant Death.

In Twentieth Century Trench Warfare, this is known as Whistle and Pistol Psychology: and just as in the Olden Days in China, it has to be Demonstrated to the Men from time to time, for one reason or another.

Master Sun would hardly condone the killing of the Kings' Favourite Concubine for anything other than Reason of Strict Political Necessity.

The Art of War is not the work of a Student, and neither is it A Theory, and nor does it contain a single Theory. It takes the form of a discussion between Generals about the Practicalities of Warfare with an Army in Physical Reality, As Found Through Experience; and the book serves to Illuminate Universal Principles which the Vain or Ignorant General Ignores at his peril.

Master Sun is A Humanitarian for Practical Reasons.

Practical Reasons found in A Practical Book about the Day to Day Practicalities of Ruling Kingdoms, and Waging Wars with Huge Armies of Men and Machines,in faraway places,in Physical Reality.

Master Sun is Always Saying To Win Without Fighting is Best.
No Destruction Equals No Reconstruction Equals No Cost Equals Max Profit


Dragon Warfare

Paper is The Cheapest Option
Water is The Way
Paper is The Cheapest Option
At The End of The Day


General Bush has not read The Art of War, and neither has Corporal Blairmonty of Basra.




smiley - dragon


REPEATING INDEFINITE INFORMATION

Post 5

Charityplayer

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE


a)


'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu

The art of war is of vital importance to the state. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence under no circumstances can it be neglected.

(sOURCE: tHE oPENING OF THE INDEFINITE ARTICLE)



b)

ART OF WAR


1

STRATEGIC ASSESSMENTS



MASTER SUN

MILITARY ACTION IS IMPORTANT TO THE NATION,
IT IS THE GROUND OF DEATH AND LIFE,
THE PATH OF SURVIVAL AND DESTRUCTION,
SO IT IS IMPERATIVE TO EXAMINE IT



smiley - dragon


REPEATING INDEFINITE INFORMATION

Post 6

Asmodai Dark (The Eternal Builder, servant of Howard, Crom, and Beans)

I dont understand why this, and all those that posted here, have only mentioned Sun Tzu. As it went down many people added to it - It became a collective teaching rather then simply once document


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more