Next to The Custard

0 Conversations

Some of our sources provide short accounts, and others provide long accounts. This is another long account, I'm afraid, but rest assured we haven't much further to go. The Great Duel, the climax of this history, isn't far away.

But let's see. We can't rush these things. Last time we discovered the Beasts, and their origins under the full moon. The first one went to the Kingdom, as Fyendodas said, and the last would seek out the Reapers. But our research lends more importance to the second one, which was to go hunting in Aisorbmii.

The following account is taken from historical records, beginning the night before that foul full moon.

Episode Twenty-Seven – Ride of the Patriots

Paladin Legodatiperi had been watching the moon as daylight began to fade. His band were bantering away, telling old stories around the fires to keep themselves entertained and warm. Legodatiperi hadn't known any of them when he took charge of the unit; now he knew all of them well. Every one of them was on familial-name terms, a small enough thing to earn for surviving so long.

Personally, he'd lost count of the number of days since the Second Fall, though that didn't seem to matter. It didn't feel like a war any more, not here, anyway. There was miles of wild countryside all around, except for a small village a few miles away which the Kingdom army had missed. Someone would always have to stay alert near the pass, but they had started running around, racing, playing games. There was an idea at one point of putting together two lacrosse teams, and to Legodatiperi that idea seemed grand.

Word had reached them of the fall of the City of Elders, and the struggles at Rene Ponit. They had been told to stay put: they were performing a useful task, and the resources needed to bring them back to defend Rene Ponit weren't available. So they kept harrying supply troops. There were only eighteen of them left now, not enough for the three squads of earlier tactics, but enough to fight the few troops which attempted to pass.

There was a whistle from the ridge, and Legodatiperi rose swiftly. Far, the Ranger, was on watch, because his eyes were keener, and so he took the sunset shift when the sun could make watching difficult. 'How many, Far?' he called.

'Full Company, Leg. Cavalry,' Far replied. That was a hundred warriors, Legodatiperi thought. Their element of surprise – such as it was, given the number of raids they'd made – and their knowledge of the land would not contest five-to-one numbers. 'Scatter plan?' the Ranger suggested.

They'd had plenty of time to anticipate larger infantry forces sent to reinforce the Kingdom army at the mountain fortress, and had come up with several ideas. Scatter plan involved firing arrows, scoring what casualties they could, and running like hell, scattering to try and minimise their own casualties. It would probably still end their band, but the ten archers could probably kill ten men instantly and thirty more before they got up the rise. They might double that against cavalry, who would have to ride around, but then they would be killed by pursuit. It would be the end of the band.

They could let this group go, of course. The horses wouldn't be much use at Rene Ponit, though a hundred men would. Rene Ponit was more defensible. This ridge was not. Fight the battles you can win, Legodatiperi thought.

'Wait,' said Legodatiperi. 'Get th' lads up, but we'll see what they do first. They might be after us,' he added.

He started to be worried when the Company stopped a distance beyond the range of the archers' bows. They were being cautious, they were planning to spread out around the pass. Scatter, he thought.

Then the Company moved north, off the road, away from the pass, towards the forest.

''Ave they given up?' asked Tid. Legodatiperi shushed him swiftly. He didn't know what they were doing.

'Three,' he said. Far looked up, surprised he hadn't seen them himself. Three riders who had probably been with the Company were entering the pass. How strange.

'Now?' asked Tid. Legodatiperi shushed him again, then -

A bearded face suddenly appeared in his mind and he jumped, startled, and fell down the ridge. Whoops, said the face. Didn't mean ter startle yer. I'm Rekowarilara. We're Aisorbmii. Don't shoot, he said.

'Don't shoot,' Legodatiperi said, then a bit louder, to the startled few still at the top of the ridge. 'Don't shoot.'

Cus helped him up, and he walked up the ridge and ambled down the other side. The three riders stopped and the cloaked leader dismounted. It was clearly Rekowarilara, he recognised the former Marshal clearly from the funeral of Prime Minister Galomanisula. Rekowarilara ran forward and embraced the Paladin.

'Call me Rek,' he invited swiftly, as his companion riders dismounted. 'This is Sunder,' he said, introducing the first, a young bearded man wearing a fairly elaborate Kingdom uniform, black sash over black jerkin, silver trim, blue buttons. Legodatiperi now saw that Rek was wearing the same uniform beneath his cloak.

The last rider appeared to be having trouble dismounting. He was small, cloaked and hooded, hid his face and said nothing. Cus stepped forward but Rek stepped in. 'No offence, lad. She's wary of people she doesn't know, at t'moment.'

'She?' asked Far.

'Best not t' ask questions,' Rek said, 'since yer not getting' any answers.' He looked west suddenly, and watched the sun set. 'Yer got tents?' he asked hopefully.

The village was three miles or so south. Rek and the hooded companion stayed apart, leading their horses on either side of them. Legodatiperi looked at them occasionally; they seemed close, though Rek occasionally looked at the moon with a worried expression on his face. After a while the men ignored the pair; if the companion was female, then she seemed secure with Rek; if male, it wasn't for them to say anything. Some men preferred men. What could be said?

Far remained near the pass for an hour, watching in case the Company moved again. Cus had ridden ahead with Sunder's horse, to let the villagers know they had more guests. Meantime, Sunder made himself friendly with the band. He talked about the Company, briefly: they were led by a Dibon de Fifelech, and they were scouting the Forest, preparing for an attack there. An attack from what, however, he wouldn't specify. Certainly the band hadn't heard of any other Aisorbmii movements near here.

He was friendly, anyway, and talked about his father, and old sports, and stories from his home, wherever that was. Legodatiperi watched the three carefully; they had been with the Kingdom Company and they were holding something important back, so he wasn't going to take them at face value here.

Rek and Sunder acted swiftly when they got to the village. Upon being offered a house to stay in they took the saddlebags off the horses and led their companion inside quickly. Sunder then posted himself at the door, effectively standing guard, but happily chatting with any of the villagers who were curious and approached to ask questions while offering food. The food was taken, the questions unanswered.

It was bound to start gossip, and theories started flying when the band started drinking. Legodatiperi kept an eye on their house for a while, then decided to get a drink himself.

Come, said Rek's voice in his head.

Confounded by their mystery, he walked to their house, where Sunder let him in, indicating the bedroom. Legodatiperi entered.

The hooded man had revealed a face with soft skin, and neck length hair. He was wearing the same uniform as Rek and Sunder, slightly pronounced at the front but definitely mannish.

'Yer psychic,' Rek announced. 'Yer got the gift, it's how I knew yer was on the ridge and why I called yer here. Don't try 'n' deny it an' don't raise yer voice about it. Just accept that I know.'

Legodatiperi nodded. 'I've 'ad to keep that secret an age,' he said. 'Not even the band know that.'

'Not easy for psychics, is it?' said Rek. 'Me brother an' me were same. Latent talent for dreams, not much more, 'riginally. Mine grew with me interrogating.' At this, the companion blinked rapidly for a moment. 'Me father couldn't hide 'is talent. Got it in spades, 'im. They become communications people. Send messages. Scout high. Always orders. So he tells us, hide it. Tells us mind-ter-mind, so no-one sees, but they look 'ard, yer know?'

'Am I 'ere jus' ter talk about psychics' 'ardships?' Legodatiperi said.

'Nah. I'm just sayin' I know a bit more about yer. Tryin' to get yer to trust me. I'm guessin' yer've used yer talent a bit during yer lacrosse. Not while yer playin', obviously, too many spectators, yer lose focus. But yer go an' watch other teams, read their skills, am I right?'

'What do yer want?' Legodatiperi interrupted, annoyed.

'I want yer to ride with Sunder. An' someone else of yer own choice. Yer saw his scar?' Legodatiperi nodded. 'He's goin' ter pull the Sword from the Stone.'

Legodatiperi sat back. 'About time.'

'Erica's in a bit of a way, here. It's complicated, don't worry about it, but she can't go further. Can't ride. Yer need to go today, though. As soon as daybreak. Ride like hell, get the sword, got it?'

'I will,' swore the Paladin. 'Why were you with the Company?'

'The King's helpin' us. Shhh, I'll give yer the simple answers. The Sword's not meant fer fighting the Kingdom. There's summat else, in the forest, an' that's the darkness. Erica 'n; I reckon it'll rise tonight. Yer have to get the Sword. Then... then yer face whatever comes at yer. The Aisorbmii'll rally around yer quick enough, yer know that.'

'I know. This... this is a lot to take in.'

'I know. Get some rest. Ride at dawn. Get a rider - that Cus feller, yeah – wear uniforms from the saddlebags, you'll be disguised as Kingdom soldiers for a bit. Follow Sunder's lead. Get the Sword.'

Rek stopped, allowing a quiet time to let it all sink in.

It was an amazing set of concepts. The Sword, finally drawn; a strange alliance with the Kingdom, which was very new. The King himself?

'Rest,' Rek said. 'Sunder?'

Legodatiperi stood, slowly, dizzyingly, and left the room. What Rek and this 'Erica' did together wasn't his business now. Just the mission. 'How many uniforms are there?' he asked Sunder.

'Five, altogether.'

'Get them all. I'll get Far, Cus and Tid to join us.'

'You have two more horses? It's eighty miles before sunset, no-one's walking.'

'We'll ride. We'll make it.'

Legodatiperi tried to sleep, but couldn't. He was too excited. He hadn't explained the mission to the others yet, though he'd told them they'd be needed. At least they would be rested, he thought. Anxious thoughts like these passed through his mind as the moon shone high in the sky.

Then he felt something high in the air, and he moved - moved, astrally – towards it. He left his body, his bed, his house, and saw Rek on top of his, with a woman.

This is Erica said Rek. Her body is changing. It's something to do with the moon, and the darkness. This is why we can't go with you.

She's Kingdom, but lovely commented Leg.

We're beyond Kingdom and Aisorbmii now Erica said. We're of the light.

How did you meet?

We started with a prisoner-interrogator bond said Rek. Then we shared death experiences said Erica. They change life a lot

You mean near-death experiences? asked Leg.

No they said together. Death. Few understand. Few return Erica smiled.

And you're together Leg asked uncertainly.

Erica backed away a moment, while Rek came forward. Her body is male, and changing. Whatever's changing it runs through the blood, arouses passion. She feels safer away from it, so I help her share the sky. The world of the psychic.

Our private world Leg affirmed. I'll rest now.

Do so. Sky's not as safe as it looks. The magic's changing.

Leg decided not to ask. He returned to his body and slept.

At dawn Legodatiperi gathered Cus, Far and Tid to Sunder's room, where they put on the black outfits. Tid was the smallest and wore Erica's. No-one asked where the outfits came from, which was just as well, since Legodatiperi didn't want to think about the unlikelihood of Rek having spare clothing. He supposed their own clothes would suffice the pair.

They kicked off the gallop at dawn. They rode north-east, stopping after two hours. Legodatiperi had never tested their loyalty like this before, but when he told them the mission, their faces seemed to glow, their chests swelling with pride. Legodatiperi started to wonder if the glow was related to his extended psychic use the previous night.

Their horses rested for ten minutes, and they started again. Legodatiperi began to wish he'd managed more sleep, but he clung to the horse and let it follow the others. It was an exciting ride, but there was only the ride. Every so often Sunder would watch the sun as it began to fall. The night was deadly, he said. Today was all or nothing.

It was a direct route, but around unfamiliar terrain. Far managed to navigate much of the route from memory, but there were delays when he came across areas where Rangers could travel quickly but riders could not. Sunder believed they might have lost half an hour's time, somewhere. But they pushed on.

They saw the mountains from forty miles distant, between the hills. Legodatiperi's heart soared as he saw the peaks, and he pushed on, reinvigorated.

They arrived near the Kingdom camp an hour before dark. Cus tried to wash down the horses as much as he could, but Sunder felt it was time to move in. Let Kingdom servants start to deal with the horses, he said. We have something bigger in mind.

He led the way, and they took his lead. The camp was an organised affair by some standards and a display of gratuitous farce by Aisorbmii standards. Nobles being peacocks, they felt. They made an area for themselves near the Sword in the Stone and waited, listening to reports as they passed by. Wall two almost fallen, news from home, a duel over some random slight... a lot of nonsense. Legodatiperi didn't like sitting, waiting for dark and not doing anything against the Kingdom troops while he was here, but Tid produced a deck of cards and he, Cus and Sunder kept themselves amused with it for a time.

Legodatiperi really started to worry when a few nobles joined in, and others started betting on the outcomes.

The sun touched the horizon. It was red. Bugles were sounded as the units came away from the wall and started to count their losses.

Sunder stood to watch the last rays fall. Far took his place at the game. Legodatiperi watched them all nervously. He was a lacrosse player, awarded the Paladin rank as an honour, not a duty. What was he doing here, sitting here?

They played by lantern-light and firelight for a while. The five remained alert as some nobles came and went and were noisy about coin. And it got very dark.

Then a roar erupted from the west, and he drew his sword.

It was immense. Three times the height of a man, at least. The campfires and lanterns did not illuminate it all, just giving it an ethereal glow. Then there were screams, and everyone knew how real it was.

An alert noble began ordering troops to open fire at it with arrows, which they did. Legodatiperi couldn't see the damage, so he projected himself forward a little, looking for spirit auras. There was none, only darkness.

The cry went up to fire at something at the west end of the camp, and overeager nobles, eager for the prize, did not think to consider the distances.

The card game, long since forgotten, fell apart as three nobles fell with arrows in their backs. Legodatiperi looked to Sunder, who was running for the Sword now.

The roar erupted again, curdling everyone's blood. There was screaming, there was panicking, there was the continued yelling and firing of arrows. Legodatiperi ran towards Sunder. Time, he thought. If there was a darkest time this was it, this is time.

Sunder cried out. An arrow had struck him in the leg, metres from the Sword. Legodatiperi reached him, glanced at him, and decided to try and pull the Sword out anyway.

First try, no luck. He came back for Sunder, dropped his sword to lift him, but then heard a whistling and ducked. Sunder was struck again.

'Have to...' Sunder gasped. 'Me... destiny.'

Legodatiperi reached under him to try and carry him, but that proved difficult to focus on while protecting himself from idiotic nobles' orders. He grabbed at Sunder's back, lifting him, trying to get him nearer so he could release the Sword with whatever potential he had.

Another whistle of arrows. A roar from the beast. Cus and Far came up beside Legodatiperi and carefully lifted Sunder, moving him forward. I'm glad they came, Legodatiperi decided.

Sunder gasped, his breathing heavy, and he was coughing blood now. His arm remained outstretched. The others just ran with him now. All he needed to do was touch the hilt, maybe -

He touched the hilt.

The sword hilt shone, it glowed. Gold sparkles appeared like raindrops within a few inches of the hilt. Legodatiperi clasped Sunder's fingers around the hilt and began to pull it out.

'Duck!' said Far, who did, as did they all, as another torrent or arrows fell, probably attracted by the sword-light. An arrow got Legodatiperi in the arm, and he screamed, and he dropped Sunder's hand. The sword stopped glowing.

The roar was louder now. He could hear it breathing near, lumbering closer. He could feel an absence of people in the narrow path from the west of the camp towards him.

Sunder gave a last gasp, and died.

This is our darkest hour, thought Legodatiperi. We were not ready for this.

The beast, he thought, was now only metres away. But it was an arrow which ended his despair.

TO BE CONTINUED...

The Next to the Custard
Archive

Ripper

24.07.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1119179

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more