A Conversation for Clitheroe Royal Grammar School, Clitheroe, UK

The Old School

Post 1

Kes

At the North end of the York Street site is the Old School building (now incorporated into the main structure). It used to be on the original school site (in St James' churchyard), but it was moved to York Street sometime early in the 20th century. Just two rooms downstairs, and one upstairs (with outside staircase). It was still in use as classrooms and a gym when I was there (1957 - 1965).


The Old School

Post 2

Clairybell, Queen of Lancashire

The Old School is used to teach French, German and English nowadays. The front lawn is used as a spare classroom in summer, due to the scorching temperatures that it can reach indoors!


The Old School

Post 3

Kes

Lawn eh! 'Twas all tarmac in my day. I shall have to get back there & take a look.


Pfft

Post 4

Researcher 241794

Hey me + my mates go to this school and we say....

The school's a dump, it's falling down, we get too much homework and the head look like a pig in a wig, or Toad of Toad Hall. Most of the classrooms are leaking and there is actually MUSHROOMS growing out of the carpet in places. They expect us to shave our heads if we have bleached hair, for god sake. They shove us all into damn sets at year nine. And the food in the canteen stinks the maths room out and the prices are nearly doubled every year.

Basically, this school sucks big time.


Pfft

Post 5

Kes

Good to see the traditions of 450 years are being maintained ... smiley - erm


Pfft

Post 6

Researcher 242583

well i go to that school with my mate too and it really does smell and especially the maths blocks which happens to be my form room. well it doesnt smell as much now because they fixed the roof and it doesnt leak anymore, but they didnt bother to replace the carpet which still smells. and in the other rooms the paint is falling of the walls and the toilets are horrible as well but the girls have nice new ones.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Clitheroe Royal Grammar School, Clitheroe, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more