A Conversation for Jargon and its Siblings

Physics

Post 1

wingpig

There's a type of diagram used in some form of physics/CS/something involving black metal band tour T-shirts called a penguin for no better reason than the fact that the first diagram of that nature resembled one.
Biology is fairly bereft of interesting names, in-jokes or funny words. Sometimes a gene will be given a stupid name; more often they're stupid rather than funny. Genetics in particular is better at misappropriating proper words to confuse people reading instructions for a practical.


Biological Jargon

Post 2

EVIL GHERKIN

There is an unfortunate term used to describe a method of identifying organisms from their behaviour. It is JIZZ. For instance when identifying a bird it's jizz would consist of where you saw it, how it was feeding, the time of year etc. I heard of a story where an English bird watcher in America astounded a number of innocent bystanders by pronouncing that he could identify the bird they were looking at through binoculars by it's JIZZ. I think the Americans were suitably impressed.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more