Murder on the Dance Floor

1 Conversation

Dancing

The Story so far.....

Auditions

As the Springtime leaves were blooming, the auditions for a role in Steppin' Out, to be performed in the Autumn of 2003, were taking place. The atmosphere in the tiny church hall was straight out of 'Pop Stars', with definite 'Pick me!' type smiles and winks being given to the director and choreographer. Over 80 hopefuls turned up for the auditions, which was whittled down to the 25 most rhythmical and graceful. (As one of the 25 I have to say that, don't I!). This happy band will receive tap dancing lessons for the next 6 months, during which time some acting workshops will be used to identify the final 10 cast members. That's 9 gals and one lucky guy.

First rehearsals

'You've got big dreams. You want fame! Well, fame costs, and right here's where you start paying. In sweat.'
The dance teacher in Fame, the movie.

Having survived the ordeal of squeezing into unforgiving black lycra leotards and tights, we started basic tap training. Shuffle hop steps, ball-changes, buffaloes - there's a whole new language as well as new things for the feet to learn! And as the outside temperature rose, so dancing conditions got more and more sticky. Those of you acquainted with The Meaning of Liff will be familiar with an 'elsrickle'. I propose that we need another word which describes this phenomenon magnified by 100.

Tension mounts

On one particularly stressful and sweaty evening, I offered my 'relaxing' pulse point oil1 to the choreographer and some of the girls and they started accusing me of trying to make them too floppy to dance! I ask you! On another occasion, an after-work trip to a pizza emporium was organised, which I reckoned held potential for much poisoning of the pepperoni shenanigans - mwahahahahaha2!

And there's more!

As if Steppin' Out wasn't enough for us to be working on, we're now also doing a song and dance routine - 'Steam Heat' from The Pyjama Game - to be performed at a Revue in September. The intention is that anyone not in the main show will get a chance to do this routine instead, which does improve the odds for one's 15 minutes (make that 4 mins 30 secs) of fame. Stay tuned for what happens next...

Murder on the Dance Floor Archive

Luckystar

03.07.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Available from all major branches of B**ts.2What's that you say? Bad for my mental health, this lark?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1096238

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more