The Bookworm Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworm by Amy the Ant

This review is from The H2G2 Bookworm's
Club
. All reviews are taken from opinions published in the Club's threads. As such, some interesting comments appear on all sorts of topics. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

Carter The Great by Glen David
Gold

Reviewed by Blues Shark

Charles Carter, known to his audiences as Carter the Great was one of the best magicians of the 1920's, generally regarded by most as the Golden Age of Magic. The book tells his life story, from escaping from a brank1
after misbehaving, to finally confronting his rival, the evil magician
Mysterioso. On the way, he meets a host of characters, from Houdini, to a scientist who has invented a magical wonder, television. Can Carter save the world of magic, slowly being taken over by cinema? And, most
importantly... did he kill the President?

For, as if Carter's life wasn't complicated enough, he has an FBI agent trailing him to try and arrest him for the murder of President Harding, who died shortly after attending one of Carter's shows and performing in the finale. The reader is kept guessing right until the end, making 'Carter' a lengthy and weighty read.

But don't let the size of the novel put you off. I guarantee you'll be gripped from the start. What sets 'Carter' apart from other books with a similar attention to detail is that, while most of the events are pure fiction, Carter the Great is a real 1920's magician. And by writing of his interactions with famous characters from history, as well as the vividly portrayed fictional ones, 'Carter' has the added benefit of realism. Gold's evocation of a forgotten age of Magic is tone perfect, and Carter's triumphs (and occasional failures) leap from the page in vivid detail, thrilling the reader just as Carter must have electrified audiences in the 1920's.

There is just one disappointment. While Gold gives lengthy descriptions of magic tricks, it is generally from the audience's perspective. He mentions a couple of levitating devices, but anyone hoping to learn the secrets of a truly great magician will have to look elsewhere. Still, think of it as like this, you wouldn't want me to tell you the book's ending, would you? smiley - winkeye Like any great magician, Gold clings jealously to his secrets, and it is bad form to give away endings, not to mention all the twists and turns in what is an astonishing debut novel.

The Bookworm Club Review
Archive

29.05.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1A form of restrictive headgear.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1060110

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more