A Conversation for Queen Nefertiti's Bust

Co-ruling monotheisim?

Post 1

neongreencat

Hi, nice Entry.

I wonder if there was a determined sex of such a singular diety when the male and female rulers held an equal prestige?

In a typically (perhaps formerly) male dominated social structure it is easy to see why god is often given a male character. A female god image may be found in a society with more powerful or respected women. With a duo-sexual leadership, and a presumed equality between the two, I would be less surprised to hear of a 'dual theism' as opposed to a monotheism.

Sorry, rambled a bit there, I guess my question is what style of monotheistic religion were Nefertiti and Akhanatan spreading?
smiley - biggrin





Co-ruling monotheisim?

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Akhenaten decreed that the Egyptians should worship the god Aten and only this god. The spiritual name for this entity was Re-Herakhte; and the physical body was known as Aten, the Sun Disc. According to Akhenaten, this god was not only the Egyptian god, but also the god of all mankind, but he permitted no communication with Aten, other than by himself or Queen Nefertiti.

There were female god images in Egypt's history, Hathor, who was portrayed as a cow - was the goddess of destiny, healing, childbirth, love, music and dance.
Sakhmet represented the destructive power of the sun, but she was also the goddess of protection and healing.
Isis was the great mother goddess of Ancient Egypt and the symbolic mother of the Pharaoh.
Neith was the goddess of war and weaving.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more