A Conversation for Tips on How to Draw

Not Just "How"

Post 1

Pinniped


Like the other thread says, inspiring. And also thought-provoking.

The way you talk about the scrapbook and rediscovering it made me think of the way I learned about the special power of such a diary.
A guy who worked in our firm for years retired, and afterwards we found a file among his things. It was filled with sheets of notepaper from dozens of different hotels (he travelled the world through work).
They were covered with little sketches and doodles. Some were recognisably connected with the place he was at the time, like rooftop skylines. Some were recognisable images, but apparently random. Many were just patterns - but strikingly good ones.
Each sheet was dated. Many also had a single phrase, evocative and obviously intended to stimulate a memory, stuff like "sunlight - terrace of the such-and-such restaurant".
It was obvious that this collection meant a lot to him, so we mailed it on.
A letter came back. It was another sheet of hotel notepaper, covered in little sketches.
It's still on the wall in the office. Some of the designs are suggestive of things he shared with us, like trophies, men on mountain-peaks, a matador. It has a date, and the phrase "100,000 words".
Too right. A whole book on a single page.

This is a great Entry. Tips on Why to Draw. Thanks.

Pin


Key: Complain about this post

Not Just "How"

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more