A Conversation for DNR or CPR - a Difficult Decision

DNR orders

Post 1

leo mckern [space for random exotic word juxtaposition generator]

this article implies that doctors are keen to give CPR even in desperate cases - actually in my experience most doctors recognize the futility of CPR in the majority of cardiac arrests. Unfortunately the recent furore over DNR orders has definetely increased the number of patients inappropriately resuscitated. Remember only 15-17% of inpatients who suffer a cardiac arrest survive to discharge. An elderly person is found dead in bed at 0400 cold and stiff. Often the crash team is called to attempt the impossible.

Because of the difficulties surrounding DNR orders, the decision gets made on the hoof by the cardiac arrest team instead of beforehand in a calm rational manner saving the patient the indignity of an unnecessary pummelling of their chest for twenty minutes or more.


DNR orders

Post 2

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")


There's an interesting article here written about by a junior doctor in his final article for the Guardian after accepting a senior post.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1086614,00.html


DNR orders

Post 3

leo mckern [space for random exotic word juxtaposition generator]

"Hollywood call"? I've never done one of those, I give to 'em straight. If you really clearly explain to people how bad things are, they agree with your decision. I always put it like this "if this was my mother this is what I would do" and that persuades the relatives you have their loved ones best interests at heart.


Key: Complain about this post