A Baby Doctor Writes...

2 Conversations

'A Baby Doctor' by Amy the Ant

Monday morning is a teaching session with Dr Darth Vadar, Prince of Darkness MBBS FRCP, clad in our cleanest white coats our group of six assemble on the ward, with a feeling of dread at the coming humiliation. After ten minutes of waiting the girls are wondering if the new junior Doctor is married.

He arrives with a deathly swish, twenty-five minutes late, and ushers us around to stand around a bed. The elderly patient looks slightly bemused when we all attempt to stand as far away from Dr Vadar as possible, avoiding eye contact, praying that he will pick another person.

'You,' he points, 'what's your name again?, this is Mrs Jones she was brought into hospital yesterday with shortness of breath, can you examine her and tell me why?'

The condemned man steps forward, the rest of us breath a sigh of relief that today, it is not us. Nervously he begins to examine Mrs Jones, after a couple of seconds The Prince of Darkness pounces and demands, in a voice cooler than liquid nitrogen

'You, what on earth are you doing?' the student freezes, 'You listen to the apex over the fifth intercostal space, not the fourth'

The student continues to listen to the chest of the bemused patient, who seems to be feeling more intimidated than the student, if it were to be possible. Once he has finished he mutters a quick description of what he thinks he's heard, desperate to escape the attentions of the consultant whilst still alive. Alas he is not so lucky, a barrage of questions follows, he managed to garble answers, too nervous to think things out logically.

The medical school would like to pretend that people like Dr Vadar don't exist anymore, that they are a remnant of the old days, disappearing along with dissection 1. They haven't realised that not everyone noticed their memo telling people not to teach by humiliation.

But I can't help thinking - and this is an extremely unfashionable thing to think - that a lot can be said for the old methods. There are worse teachers than those who embarrass you a little, there are those that cancel an afternoon teaching session with five minutes notice, those that talk in a way that makes no sense at all about things that we're not expected to understand yet. And whilst we're all supposed to learn for the love of learning, the fact that I know I'm going to be asked about Infective endocarditis made me spend a few hours in the library instead of my bed. A lot can be said for negative motivation.

A Baby Doctor Writes - Archive

Z

27.03.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Medical students no long cut up dead bodies - shame.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1008415

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more