A Conversation for Tea

Tea

Post 1

drewbert

I must admit I probably make my Earl Grey in the crassest American way possible, which is by putting the water and tea bag in a cup and microwaving the whole thing, putting the milk in afterwards. Amazingly, I actually like it this way. Though I must go home and try it the right way, now that I know.
Crudely yours,
drewbert


Tea

Post 2

Peta

Re: teabags. I always make tea with teabags because I cannot STAND getting tea leaves in my mouth.. It's the most awful feeling, you have just enjoyed a really nice hot refreshing cup of tea and then, unwittingly, drink the last mouthful and get a mouthful of tea leaves! Why is this so irritating? Its the oral equivalent of scratching a blackboard....


Tea

Post 3

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

Ouch! That really is crude, creeping almost into blasphemy. Although a microwave is very useful for instant coffee, how could you even think of doing tea in one? That's on a par with ordering a Guinness and Cherryade in a pub.


Tea

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Micro-wave tea? Heretic! I recently read a commentary by George Orwell on Tea. He concurs with DNA on most points, especially the need to pre-heat the tea pot. He is emphatic that the water must be actually boiling, not hot or merely boiled. He differs with DNA on the issue of milk: pre or post. He sides with the dilettante post milkers. As a boy growing up in England, I was taught that putting the milk in after was a symptom of Scottishness. I was delighted when later on I discovered Scotts people who actually upheld this pagan practice. They also used a strange type of vinegar of a strange and unwholesome appearance. It was clear and not at all tea coloured, as vinegar ought to be.


Tea

Post 5

Stu

Why don't you purchase a tea strainer? It is basically a spoon that has many holes in the bottom that allows you to pour your tea through it and filters out the leaves.


Tea

Post 6

Peta

Bet they don't talk to you much if you refer to them as Scotts thoough ........


Tea

Post 7

Jim Lynn

Of course. Everyone knows the denizens of Scotland are the Scotch. smiley - smiley


Tea

Post 8

drewbert

Just so you know... I'm really not so barbaric about other things. Really. *burp*


Tea

Post 9

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Wen ahI worralad, Folk from Scotland wuz "Scotts".


Tea

Post 10

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

One 't' though. With two sugars.


Sun Tea

Post 11

BlondieGalaxy

Here in the desert south west USA...we NEED ice tea with lots of ice! We use a large class jar with a lid...fill it with fresh cool water, add several tea bags (sorry, sir!) and set it outside in our delightful hot sun...and, let it brew to perfection! Add lots of ice and a slice of lemon....no sugar, please!smiley - smiley


Tea

Post 12

Researcher 37141

Speaking as a Sassenach (sp?), surely the inhabitants from North of the Border at the Scots. Scotch is a drink.


Sun Tea

Post 13

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Norman Jeweson (sp?), the celebrated director of such films as Agnes Of God and Fiddler On The Roof served ice-tea without sugar or lemon to visitors to his garden near Toronto a few years ago.


Whats al the fuss about ??

Post 14

Barebum

Ponder for a moment if all the above fuss is really that important. Firstly, make and drink tea as you will. Dip your bickies in if you like. who really cares as long as you like it that way. Secondly, it seems only people outside my native Scotland care what our peoples are called. Digressing slightly, I am from the western isles and thus see myself as a Celt not a Scot or Scott or whatever you chose to label me. Finally, in years to come we will all be dust so live life for today and not the past. Tradition is simply a process not a set of rules or regulations . Where would we be if man did not dream of walking on the moon. Nothing is impossible or that rigid that it cannot be achieved or changed to achieve some better ideal. So drink your tea as you want. Leave labelling alone - especially putting people into little boxes and categories. We are humans first and nationalities second.


Sun Tea

Post 15

Cheerful Dragon

Even iced tea should be made with boiling water. You then allow it to cool and add the ice. Because melting ice dilutes the tea, iced tea should be made stronger than usual.


Water pH

Post 16

SKUNK

I just can't imagine the great Tea beverage being appreciated by Americans' period! But, apart from that, do any of you stop to consider your water pH? Absolutely vitual for that perfect cuppa! You gotta get your pH "down" to around 6.1 to 6.5 for a classic brew. To do this you'll have to get a pH testing kit and some Phosphoric Acid to make the adjustments. Bit of a pisser I know, but stick with it. However, I am in total agreement about water temperature - it's gotta be boiling. A good old routine is always take the pot to the kettle and NOT the kettle to the pot. This ensure's that the water is not removed from the heat source prematurely. Once you've mastered these basic techniques ....WOOF! you'll be in heaven. I know I am!!


may i suggest

Post 17

SISTER GREEN

i shamefully admit, i'm relativley
ignorant to the various virtues
of tea are (not nearley enough
caffeine in it to my tastes)
but if you really want to tatse
a cop of tea that will knock you
of your feet (or whatever you use
for standing up, depending on your
species, in the name of intergalactic
politically-correctness) you should
visit the bedouins in the sinai peninsula.
you will never again doubt the importance
of tea to society.


may i suggest

Post 18

S.R.A.H.

Earl Grey made with boiling water. No lemon. No milk. No Ice.
Allow to cool (not quite cold) and swig.
It ain't pretty but it delivers a nice kick.
Coffee anyone ? (page P68276)


Bedouin Brew

Post 19

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi Sister Green. Can you tell us more about the Bedouin brew?


Bedouin Brew

Post 20

SISTER GREEN

delighted to.
first of all, the mere mention
of tea bags would be concidered
sacrilege. (tea bags are only used
in the more commercial touristi parts
of the sinai) they grow the leaves
themselves, and boil them along
with the water in a little copper
kettle. they make theyr tea v e r y
sweet and often use bitter herbs
such as shiba (don't know the name in
english, sorry) to contradict the
sweetness. a flavour experience
you will not soon forget.
(at the risk of the sounding like
a travel agency broshure).


Key: Complain about this post