A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

One more for you

Post 21

KimotoCat

Errare humanum est...


One more for you

Post 22

Horse with no name

Like some latin philosopher said: scio me ne scire
(I know that I don't know anything)...
Pretty nice manner to say 'I'm stupid', isn't it?


One more for you

Post 23

Lost in Scotland

That is more like submissing to the ultimate truth. The ultimate truth is that the more we think we know, the more we are wrong.
Our knowledge is but a small island in a vast ocean of ignorance.

Admittedly Lost!


One more for you

Post 24

Lost in Scotland

Oh, and BTW...
Ubi est conclave necessarium?
Lost!


One more for you

Post 25

KimotoCat

How about some leniancy to those of us who do NOT speak any Latin? Whaddaya mean?


One more for you

Post 26

Lost in Scotland

Mea culpa, Kimoto. I'm sorry.
I asked where the bathroom was.


One more for you

Post 27

KimotoCat

Oh...

Okay. You go over towards the north-wall, enter the door at your right and then take the third door in the opposite wall, the one with a small male-human picture on it. From then on, you should be able to figure the rest.

Feel free to ask again.


One more for you

Post 28

Lost in Scotland

Oh, thank you. I was beginning to feel like I was going to burst.
Then I almost got lost on the way back again, until I figured out that I had to read the directions backwards to get back here again.


One more for you

Post 29

KimotoCat

Welcome back.


One more for you

Post 30

Horse with no name

first latin lesson: Non scholae, sed vitae discimus (We don't learn for school, but for your life)
Is this really true? When I learned my latin lessons, I did it for school. (I didn't know that there were latin forums, at that time)


One more for you

Post 31

Palmgloss

I was taught at school (unfortunately too late) that I could forget everything about Latin but this sentence from Terence (late roman playwriter): Homo sum et nihil homine a me alienum puto.
This means I am human and I think that nothing human can be strange to me (strange should be foreign in litteral translation, the sense to give to it is that mankind should understand/tolerate human behavior)
Had I known this sentence before, I wouldn't have studied so much for Latin


One more for you

Post 32

KimotoCat

Non scholae, sed vitae discimus.

Wow... The translation is the motto of Danish teachers in Denmark. Our creed, you may say. Yeah, I'm a teacher, in Denmark, but I didn't know the Latin-translation.

Thanx.

Wow...


One more for you

Post 33

Horse with no name

The motto of my teachers was 'Mens sana in corpore sano' (a healthy mind in a healthy body)
(I'm not a teacher...)smiley - smiley


One more for you

Post 34

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Friend of mine used to prefere the saying "Crazy soul in a funny body". Wonder what that would be in latin? Can somebody (funny or not) out there help me?


One more for you

Post 35

C Hawke

OK scholaly dudes here's one for you, I asked the question here:

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=23373&thread=44903

But someone mentioned this forum so I'll repeat my request (never done latin me)

I had no interest in Philosophy till last week on UK's channel 4 a show which dummed down philosophy enough so I could find it interesting. This roman dude, Seneca, basically said that pessimists, as they expect the worse don't get angry or stressed, sorry to any student of him out there if I summarise to far.

I didn't realise that I was living my life to Seneca's rules till last week. An example, a relationship recently started, and ended, I knew from the start that it probably wasn't going to last (comments such as "when I dump you I'll...." sort of gave it away), however knowing this when it ended I was upset, slightly hurt but not angry.

So, I want as my moto, in latin the summary of this ie "Shit Happens, live with it".

Cheers

Chris


One more for you

Post 36

Horse with no name

For the first one (crazy soul in a funny body) I would try: Innocens animus in comico corpore... The problem is, innocens is not really 'crazy' but more sth like 'not knowing'.
For the second one: I'll look it up...


One more for you

Post 37

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Me old mentor & soul mate Andy Capp taught me "always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect to get 'em back" - so could ya lend us a quid?


One more for you

Post 38

Horse with no name

What do you think of 'Faeces sunt, vivi cum id' (I'm not quite sure of vivi cum id, but nor would be anyone else)('vivite' instead of 'vivi' is also good)


One more for you

Post 39

C Hawke

Your the one with the latin skills so I can live with it, Thanks a lot, it will now be placed at the top of my home page and used at the bottom of certain emails.

Chris


One more for you

Post 40

Bluebelle

How about "Life happens, live it"?

Blue


Key: Complain about this post