A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What advances have been made in fashion?

Post 41

swl

Fiats and flares are similar in that I wouldn't be seen dead in either.

Post 42

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Nuffink wrong with flares.

Post 43

Xanatic

Well if you've invented a fabric that can keep you warm while only weighing half what the previous fabric did, I'd say that was progress. Same as making a car that can go the same distance with half the fuel.

Post 44

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

>>..use the word "clothing" instead of "fashion" if you like. <<

Can't do that; clothing is a material object, fashion
is an abstract concept referring to a sense of style,
an esthetic, an artistic trend.

There is fashion in home-styles, home decor, auto-design,
jewelery, art, landscaping and even popular trends in music,
drama and comedy.

But yes, clothing has evolved in many functionalities due
to new materials and manufacturing methods and there have
been lots of innovations in fasteners and other functions.

As Mr D has said, all clothing fulfills the same basic function
it always has. Historically, even the size and shape of one's
bearskin clouts would be a fashion statement, a mark of one's
status as a hunter/gatherer. If Og's bearskin was bigger and
harrier than Muck's, they both served as a means of warmth
and protection and privacy at a functional level and Og's
was perhaps regarded as superior in fashion and status.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 45

"Well if you've invented a fabric that can keep you warm while only weighing half what the previous fabric did, I'd say that was progress. Same as making a car that can go the same distance with half the fuel."

Yuh huh.

Take wool for example.

Keeps you warm, keeps you dry, lets your skin breathe, does not cause you to lose body heat when damp, does not keep hold of body odour and can be effectively washed without detergent, and does not catch alight easily. Compare this to most man-made fibres... they can usually do one or two of those things, sometimes better admittedly, but never all of those things (I'm happy to be corrected here) and in some cases are actually so much WORSE that it doesn't bear thinking about (particularly with the flammablilty. But oh no, it's heavy (if you're not used to it) and can be itchy so thus is somehow the lesser fabric.

So yeah, when something does everything in one package I don't see how things which cannot replicate this can be counted as progress... I'll stick with cotton, wool and linen thanks. smiley - smiley

Post 46

Xanatic

It was an example. I still remember the woolen undershirts my mother made us wear as children, itchy.
Socks that stay up without sockholders, there's a step forward.

Post 47

I have yet to encounter modern socks that stay up without sockholders.

Post 48

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

It depends on what you mean by 'advances in fashion'. Most advances these days seem to be in textiles or their treatment. The clothes you see on sale may look the same but are almost certainly of a different material or blend than those of a decade ago. These are the textile and treatment advances I've heard about this year:

In Brazil they have created a yarn that they claim will increase your blood circulation and cellular metabolism.smiley - nurse

A European project has just created some new textiles that are capable of regulating temperature. I suspect it's more likely they will be used in cars than clothing, but you never know.

Here in the UK there is SARK, a new slash proof material which is being earmarked for the next generation of stab proof vests (it outperforms the current ones) and also motorcycle clothing.smiley - biker They also say it will replace the chain mail gloves used by loggers and butchers if it's made into a glove.

Oh, and the Germans have announced a new Biocidal treatment that kills micro-organisms on delicate textiles in low temperature washes. It will probably be in the next generation of washing powders.smiley - scientist

Also, don't forget that several manufacturers of sportswearsmiley - borg (and increasingly, business suits) now use silver in the textiles to destroy the bacteria that causes sweat odours. Oh, and on the subject of business suits, the Japanese have an easy-clean suit that you can spray over in your shower and hang up to dry overnight. It dries in about three hours. That's a fairly recent development too.smiley - ok

Post 49

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

MR Dredful: I too have recently encountered problems with socks, stemming from my having followed what was my previously fail-safe method for sock-aquisition.
I have, for many years now, followed a simple method for sock aquisition. This has involved, waiting until my socks need replacing (over 50% of socks have aquired, or soon will aquire a disposision from which they are, or soon will be,unable to function successfully to perform those duties to which socks are both designed, and one hopes, constructed, to perform).
I then, purposefully, gather together all my socks, and place them into the dustbin, thus leaving me in a situation of having no socks (I useually reserve one pair, as a necessary constituant part of the equipment, required in order to forefil subsequent stages of the sock-procurement protocol).
Then, without so-much as a moments hesitation, or doubt, I continue with sock-procurement protocol, and wind my way, by various alternative methods (by car, taxi, or on foot), to the nearest M&S store.

Once at the afore mentioned M&S store, following sock-precurement protocol, I find, locate and aquire between 7 and 10 pairs of identicle socks, useually of a cotton matterial, though useually also with a certain amoutn of lycra content (to aid staying up-ness of the socks during sock diploiment).

However, my most recent effort in sock-aquisition following this long established, and useully floorless sock-aquisition protocol, was, for the first time, disapointment personified.

I followed sock-purecurement protocol, as outlines above, but, to my utter horror and dismay, did find that the socks, thereby put into my posettion, were, most extraordinarrly, entirely unsuitable to be able to function even remotely adaquatly for their so-called 'purpose'.

I struggled, onwards, through such adversity of contstant slippage, near perminat state of rolly-top sockage, through countless and dangerous hours of sock-pulling-up, until, finally, after nearly three months of such sock-induced agony, I came to a sudden, fatal and inspired realisation. The sock aquisition protocol I had used, the same sock-aquisition protocol I had used for my entire adult life, had failed. Not only failed, but failed entirely, from the onset, and so I had to, without warning, suddenly design a new sock-aquisition protocol.

Although in its infancy, being a new protocol born out of necessity, the infantile, new sock-aquisition protocol has, thus far proved most effective, and, perhaps in hindsight, more effective than the previous two or so years of having used the origional sock-aquisition protocol.

However, it is worth noticing that this is a new sock-aquisition protocol, and in its infancy, has not had the benifit of years of duplicated application to the bisuness of aquiring socks, and so has not, as yet, built up a suficiently detailed set of results to give any data as regards its long-term, repeated ability to perform correctly and appropiately in the long-term sock aquisition arena.

The new sock aquisition protocol was revolutionary in many ways, a total departure of protocol, inception and inactment of all that had proceeded it.

But. Heck. Sometimes you've just got to live close to the edge, expand your horizons, let hesitation and adherance to traditions fly out of the window, and look yourself in the mirror, grab the problem by its neck, and say, no shout, unto the world, 'today I am going to aquire my socks by a differnt method', and go, go forth, and be dangerous, be daring, be, even might one say, inspired and spontainous and take the oppertunity afforded, to unwrap and expose an entire world of previously un-conceived possibilities, and grasp the future, the new, the previously unexperianced.

The idea was simple. As, I have often heard, most of the best ideas often are. The idea was simple, but revolutionary, such a departure from the 'norm', as to fill ones heart with fear, with dread, worry and loathing. But, an idea which, in the end, not only brought sock-aquisition protocol up to date with the modern world, but which also threatened and damn-well blew out of the water, every concievible (and probably some un-concievible ones too), premise and notion, apon which the origional and previously fail-safe sock-aquisition method was based.

So simple, yet so effective. a new horizon of sock-aquisition occurances opens up as a consequence like a giant long line of sock-aquisition protocol diploiments, quivering off into the future for many years to come....

I went online and bought some socks from Tesco... and, yeh, they're quite cheap, but, they're probably the best socks I have had in years.

and now, each and every day can be a day full of sock contentment, a new horizon of sock wearing, in which slippage, rolly-top socks and constant pulling up of the socks are things resigned to history, each day brings with it a newly found bliss of socks, and of sock-wearing, within which the very and merest act, of putting on socks, is, in itself, representitive of the wider forfillment one can hope, and hopefully achieve with each day, secure in the knowledge of whatever els may be thrown at one, during the course of the day, there is one, no, two* things apon which one can be sure, and each of these things is a sock, one being the right sock, and the other, logically, the left sock. A world in which, throughout the pressures and distractions of each and every day, one can rest assured that, at no point, will a poorly performing sock be able to distroy ones concentration on those other things, which otherwise dog our days, and prevent our otherwise total enjoyment of that which can only be attained through true, real an total sock-bliss. smiley - zen

Post 50

smiley - laugh
Brilliant.
smiley - ok

>>..during the course of the day, there is one, no, two*
things apon which one can be sure, and each of these things
is a sock, one being the right sock, and the other, logically,
the left sock <<

A sock for the end of each and every leg!
2legs = 2socks = 2legs!

We can always depend on 2legs!

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 51

You can call me TC

smiley - applause to 2legs for his "Joy of Socks"

Post 52

smiley - blush perhaps my.... rambling effort could be a suplimental article to the origional Joy of socks article smiley - snorksmiley - footprints
Feet are a wonderous but often much abused part of the body, apon which great reliance is often placed, yet with often little more than a soapy wash when we're in the shower as the only attention they get...
I've still never worked out why your meant to cut toenails 'straight' but you can 'shape' fingernails... I always find straight toenails are more likely to catch in your stock... er socks... smiley - divasmiley - blushsmiley - weird
my feet are currently un-socked, hanging off the end of the bed, with a gentle cooling breezer from a desk fan being directed at them... It was warm today smiley - puff

Post 53

smiley - biggrin

>> Feet are a wonderous but often much abused part of the body..<<

Just recently heard a very wise old saying which many here
may well have heard before but it was a revelation to me.
smiley - bigeyes
The gist of it was that since we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed
and the rest of it wearing shoes, we should always look for
the best quality when buying beds and footwear.
smiley - ok
Mind you, 2legs' plan to hang naked feet off the end of the bed
sounds like he's already found a way round the whole idea.
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 54

smiley - zen Decent footware is a must... Its why I've spent nearly two years now looking for a replacement pair of zip-up leather boots, with as yet no success smiley - wahsmiley - zen Expensive/decent matresses, beds, duvets, pillows were a transformative moment in my life; quite simply I'd never slept well (in hindsight), until I invested in decent versions of each smiley - zen Mind, I can't, sadly, afford, or justify to afford, the next step up, though I have slept on some seriously* expensive matresses, and they were, without a doubt, just absolutely superb... but, very* expensive smiley - zen so upper-middle price range/lower-expensive price range is about as far as I've gotten so far, though I'll have to think again about this soon, as it won't be long now before the lot needs replacing smiley - zen

At least I can be confedent, that via a complicated at times, yet justifiably sufficiently laudible, set of procurement protocols, for the aquisition of, and adoption to, I do, at least, have sufficiently supportive, non rolly top, drop down, socks with which to adorn my feet, as they snuggle and nest perfectly supported, within my shoes smiley - zensmiley - huh

Post 55

smiley - laugh
>>...via a complicated at times, yet justifiably sufficiently laudible, set of procurement protocols, for the aquisition of, and adoption to, I do, at least, have.. <<
smiley - rofl
Brilliant.
Thank you.
I want you to be my lawyer when the sadfaced gits
finally bring charges against me for not taking life
seriously enough.
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Post 56

swl

Socks are particularly important for those of us with an above average number of feet.

Post 57

>Lets not be feetist about the problem of socks, nor, for that matter, the delight one may achieve when true, enduring and perfect sock eutopia is found.

It matters not the size of your feet, nor their number or name, only that your feet may all be be-socked the same
enwrapped in a sheaf, perfect in size, from which true sock pleasure, can eventually arise

The choice of colour, matterial and build, to each of their own, sock joy to forfill
Cuddled with cotton, shrouded in wool, encapsulated by silk, protected and safe inside their woven home
the world can face trubbles, fear and loathing unto your feet, but socks when correct these adversities can beat
keeping them warm, but in summer cool, those that disregard tehir feet, more the them fool
so let not be feetist when feet you then count, as however many there besocked of which no doubt smiley - zensmiley - erm that's terrible... really terrible......
If I had any sense I'd not hit the post button.... but I like jwF fail to take life seriously enough to have such restrictions smiley - snork

oo can I be your solicitor/layer? really? smiley - cool I'll be great, dress up for it right and everything! I can entangle sufficiently teh words of the case, as to mingle and disentangle that of the truth from the fact and of the fact from the placement of that which needs to be concealed, yet within which the very merest indication of that to which it is attainting, can itself by virtue of its own words, within the deper and longer context of the total, adhere to, whilst not breaking out of, any or all existing restrictions, which might otherwise themsevels not be able, withstanding any such opposition as may occur, be, itself, unto that, able, via those means of to which we can descern, via this, both in methodology and practise, undoubtidly, thereby lead to that which is so undoubtded and clearly the case, as to direct any that may, despite such efforts, not wholely take entirely the meaning to which was meant, by then lead, as such as before explained, until, without fear, they will, by virtue of this, have to eventually determine, that there is no other alternative, and thereby, adopt that to which they believe is that to which they were of mind to adopt in the first place, rendering any such descentions from the pre-destined path, and ensuring, via those exact same means, that ultimately, it will be the case, and so, easily render it to them as the case, but only by, as they would observe, their own volition and seeming choice in deciding as such to be that to which their clear logical processes inevitably had to arive at, consequent on their own deduction and summation of the avilible and clearly presented details, and, thus, ultimately, leading us to the exact same place to which we were hoping to arrive, albeit by a means, not necessarily entirely wihtout ploy, in terms, most specifically, of their (in themsevles), strongest belief in such freedom as it was to have given them the choice or descision to which their own creative an dimaginative thoughts had taken them, irrelivent, or perhaps even, despite of, or independant too, any such outside influences as might not have directly to their knowledge been quite exactly the opposite to which, and of which, they themsveles believed.
hmm. I rest my ... beer glass smiley - ale

Post 58

smiley - rofl
>>.. to the exact same place to which we were hoping to arrive,
albeit by a means, not necessarily entirely wihtout ploy..<<

Indeed, rest your glass sirra!
Then reset your glass anon.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more