A Conversation for Growing Up in the 1980s

Music

Post 1

PaulBateman

I remember Madonna, the Village People (particularly the film 'Nobody Can Stop the Music'), the New Romantics, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Wham, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, the list coud go on for ever.

Music

Post 2

braindead_geordie

and unfortunately all the stock aitken and waterman trash.

i had absolutely no interest in music at all til i discovered indie and electronic stuff towards the end of the 80s - smiths (of course), wedding present, wonderstuff, early blur, the la's, new order, stone roses ... and the housemartins and u2 too, just because.

Music

Post 3

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Definitely ZZ Top. No contest. After all, every girl's crazy 'bout a Sharp Dressed Man.
I was at Poly in the eighties, with a huge range of students from an enormous selection of backgrounds. At poly I remember listening to music from Saudi, Malaysia and even Wales.smiley - winkeye
I learnt to love the Blues, and wanted to go to South Africa to listen to the music.
Peel and Kershaw were the twin Gods of radio, playing the Fall and 'The National Top Ten of Zimbawe', respectively.

I do remember one particularly horrid summer when Born in the USA and Brothers in Arms were all you could hear or see.smiley - grr

Paul Simon finally broke the apartheid deadlock by resolutely ignoring the rest of the world and teaching us to dance to the rhythms of the townships.smiley - biggrin

smiley - shark
This is re-post as I missed this thread first time around and am trying tomake Jim's life easier.smiley - ok

Music

Post 4

Pan, the piper at the gates of dawn

I remember scrawling Van Halen's logo on my 3-ring binders when horribly bored in class.

Music

Post 5

invisibleknight

I still draw the ZTT (Zang Tum Tumb - Excites!) logo on every folder i'm ever issued in new jobs.

and my other fave.

Kevin Arnold & The Electric Shoes (from The Wonder Years)

Key: Complain about this post