A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you still use playhouses or other places where audience can be a bit groundling?

Post 1

Maria

It is usual that people interact with actors spontaneously?

do you like it?

what would you say after a great/awful performance?

any experience to share?

Do you still use playhouses or other places where audience can be a bit groundling?

Post 2

Maria

just checked the meaning of groundlings...

take it as someone daring, not neccesarily uneducated, as the definition says,
even sharp.

Post 3

Xanatic

I think what you're talking about might be what the brits refer to as pantomime. It's comedy theater with audience participation.

Oh no it isn't!

Oh yes it is!

Post 4

Maria

I was thinking of that open-air theatre, elizabethan public playhouse, with a pit/yard in the center where groundlings were standing. Or similar.

Post 5

bobstafford

Thats what its original meaning was Mariasmiley - smiley

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Theatre design moved away from the Shakespearean style for many centuries, separating the audience from the actors. The 'proscenium arch' is the sort of frame around the front of the stage that defines what is real life and what is the play.

In the 20th Century, theatre designers starting moving back to a model where the audience was close to the actors, removing the arch, putting the audience around a central stage or mixing the actors in with the audience.

Old habits die hard, though. Theatre audiences, in the UK and Ireland at least, are used to keeping quiet during plays. They consider their function is to look and listen, not to join in. Theatre companies that want the audience to be part of the performance have to work very hard to get them to participate.

The one exception is pantomime, which is a sort of comedy play with a very traditional format. It is perfectly normal for the audience in pantomime to shout out comments, and to react verbally to what is happening.

Post 7

Bald Bloke

Maria
One obvious place would be The Globe on the south bank in London where you can get Groundling Tickets.

Post 8

Maria

gracias Gnomon, that´s interesting. It seems spanish scenenarios have followed a similar trend.

there´re more similarities, this is a playhouse from the 16 century in Spain, it´s called corral de comedias, corral means yard. It reminds somehow the Globe, doesn´t it?

http://www.festivaldealmagro.com/espacio_actual.php?id=1

it was used as a hostal and also as theatre.

btw, I´ll be tomorrow in that village, to see a Midsummer´s night dream and on saturday, a spanish classic from the Barroque period.

That village holds along July an international festival on classical theatre.smiley - smiley

Post 9

Beatrice

I think you'll find many events at the Edinburgh festival (and its ilk) will encourage audience reaction/ involvement.

Post 10

Icy North

For artistic play acting with earthy audience participation, I can recommend most Premier League fixtures.

Post 11

Xanatic

As I understand it, it used to be common for plays to be performed in actual courtyards. You didn't bring people to the theater, you brought the theater to the people. The plays also being written to take advantage of the setting/layout of a typical courtyard.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more