A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Excel guru needed...

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

I'm useless at Excel and useless at using the Excel help pages.

Therefore if someone can help me
I have a column with characters (mixed numbers and letters). They are IBAN numbers and I want to quickly check if they have been correctly entered. They are either 8 or 11 so one way to check if they are correct is to display the number of characters in the cell.

Is there a way of doing that? I want to add a column next to this one which displays in the adjacent cell to the IBAN number how many characters are in that cell

If it makes sense.

Excel guru needed...

Post 2

Geggs

Try =len(A1) if, A1 is the cell you want to check.

Geggs

Excel guru needed...

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

brilliant - thanks!!

Excel guru needed...

Post 4

Witty Moniker

I find Excel help fairly useless. I google the thing I'm trying to figure out and usually find the answer that way. I taught myself pivot tables that way.

Excel guru needed...

Post 5

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Yep, it's possible! You just need to add an if statement to check the number sizes, then you can format the next column to give you your output smiley - smiley

Excel guru needed...

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

thanks for coming fords, but... I don't understand a word of that! smiley - kiss

the =len() worked perfectly

smiley - smiley

Excel guru needed...

Post 7

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Oops, I should take my programmer's hat off next time! smiley - biggrin Glad you got it sorted in the end smiley - ok

Excel guru needed...

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

smiley - smiley

smiley - kiss

Excel guru needed...

Post 9

You can call me TC

The Mr Plod way that I would first have thought of would be to take the differences between A1-A2, then A2-A3 etc then just run my eye down the resulting column to see if any of the numbers have an inordinately large number of digits. Rough and ready.

I like Excel, but I don't need it for much more than basic arithmetic, averages, etc.

Excel guru needed...

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

what I needed to check was how many characters were in each cell - they weren't numbers - just combinations of letters/numbers. They had to be either 8 or 11 characters long

the solution from Geggs (and probably the other one - was it Fords? - if I could have understood it smiley - winkeye was perfect

Excel guru needed...

Post 11

Mu Beta

Rather than check them manually, could you also use Data Validation?

Highlight the column and select Data Validation. It's on the 'Data' menu in Office 2010 (assume it's the same for previous). Change the 'Allow' drop-down to 'Custom', and enter the formula:

=OR(LEN(B1)=8,LEN(B1)=11)

Thankfully, Excel has the common sense to apply this to the whole column. Then it will actively prohibit non-conforming data from being entered, rather than you having to sift it manually.

B

Excel guru needed...

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

i might have a go at that tomorrow - it's not actually my list so I'll have to work out how best to use it smiley - smiley

Excel guru needed...

Post 13

You can call me TC

Ah yes. I forgot that IBAN numbers are alphanumerical. *crawls back into shell*

Excel guru needed...

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

and thank you!!! I'Ve been trying to remember alphanumerical since I wrote the first post.

I'm having terrible terrible problems these days - when I start a sentence I know what all the words are that I need, but sometimes I get half way through and a word has just vanished and I have no idea what it should be. And that happens in English as much as German now.
smiley - sadface

Excel guru needed...

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

hi Mr B

so - I tried your suggestion - by copy/paste what you wrote. I think what

=OR(LEN(B1)=8,LEN(B1)=11)

means is that whatever goes in the cell B1 can be only either 8 or 11 characters long?

because I'm getting an error message, and I really don't understand anything about Excel at all.

Excel guru needed...

Post 16

Sho - employed again!

also, sorry, that means you have to enter the formula before you start to enter data, right? you can't make a new column, set those parameters then copy/paste data from another column into it?

(how do you all have all this excel expertise, by the way?)

Excel guru needed...

Post 17

Milla, h2g2 Operations

You can add the formula at any time. As long as it points to the right cell, it will work.
smiley - towel

Excel guru needed...

Post 18

Sho - employed again!

I tried to apply it to a colum that already exists without much success
I'll try it again

Excel guru needed...

Post 19

Sho - employed again!

nope, didn't work. I'm very confused by this, actually.

Excel guru needed...

Post 20

Witty Moniker

Sometimes formula formats change from version to version of Excel.

Key: Complain about this post