The h2g2 Post 13.02.17

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 13th February 2017

Whither Civilisation?

A woodchuck in a tree. As the late, great Franz Werfel said so many years ago, the situation is hopeless, but not serious. So let the music play. Tomorrow, of course, it should be love songs, for tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Enjoy the season, and don't eat too much chocolate. To get you ready, we have a Post Quiz. And if you click that picture of the woodchuck, you'll get some Valentine's poetry for lagniappe. The woodchuck is up there because we have treed him. We are disgusted at the furry menace for predicting six more weeks of this horrible winter. Aren't things bad enough without more snow? Oh, well, snuggle indoors with a significant other, furry friend (not the woodchuck), or warm beverage and interesting movie.

Speaking of interesting movies, Awix has one for you. It's timely, and involves people who not only don't stare at goats, they refuse to look truth in the eye. Know anybody like that? If you don't, what are you doing on the internet? Anyway, you'll appreciate Awix's words on the subject. We did.

How can we characterise this week's issue? Well, we're either dancing on the edge of the abyss, or just being as eclectic and erudite as always. Take your pick. Here are some highlights:

  • Willem shows us a monkey.
  • We plead for peace.
  • Nigel and the aliens plan for the apocalypse.
  • We invite writers to practice their Twitter skills.
  • SashaQ has a nice chat with Cleverbot. (Sasha is better than I am.)
  • Freewayriding takes his tale where no saga has gone before.
  • Icy North challenges your little grey cells with a new themed crossword.
  • Another Isle of Wight literary great puts in an appearance, with a poem about sheep. It will make you cry, possibly snigger, and perhaps change your diet.

Now, if you can figure out what this week's theme is, you're welcome to explain it to the Editor. Me, I'll just say that it's all enjoyable, and if you read it, you'll be both amused and confused.

So without further ado, here they are: the Post Contributors at their most befuddling. Read, comment, and send me more Stuff! Oh, and have a good week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

DIFFERENT FRONTIERS
  • Red-Capped Mangabey by Willem.
  • Daniel Boone was a man. Here he is, with other men, on a post office mural

IT'S A DATE, MAYBE

PAUSE FOR THOUGHT

  • A collection of mementos from a son lost in battle
  • Hubble star birth.

BRAIN TEASERS
READ, WRITE, GO
  • Create February  Challenge 2017.
  • End-of-Civilisation HQ in Sussex.
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87883555

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more