Living in Style in Scotland: Historical Edition

0 Conversations

Living in Style in Scotland: Historical Edition

Paigetheoracle is getting settled in the Highlands. We're glad, and so is he. He's looking forward to peace and quiet and writing time. The really cool thing, though, is that his house has a name. This is really posh, we think.

He explains:

This is the house and below is a plaque that is on the house beside it (apparently it used to be one building). Its name is Omdurman and the other house is called Atbara.


These are named after battles in revenge for the murder of General Gordon a few years earlier, at Khartoum. General Kitchener led the campaign and Churchill was involved as a war correspondent.


General Hector Mcdonald led the assault at Atbara and won the day. There is a monument to him in Dingwall, which is twenty miles away from here. I had never heard of him before then (known in Scotland but not in England).


The old owners left us a gift: French report on the Battle of Omdurman.
Omdurman HouseOmdurman House PlaqueBattle of Omdurman
Paigetheoracle Archive

Paigetheoracle

04.11.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87954529

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more