Join the Q: Wildlife Workshop

1 Conversation

Join the Q logo.

Join the Q: Wildlife Workshop

I recently went to a wildlife photography workshop at RSPB Burton Mere. Sessions earlier in the year had been oversubscribed, but the session I attended was the last in the academic year and the weather was not great, so that perhaps explained why there was only one other student apart from me! It didn't matter, though, because it meant that we each got to spend a lot of time with each piece of equipment, and the tutor could answer any questions we had as we went along.

The first part of the day introduced us to the creatures that had been caught in a moth trap - the tutor handled the moths carefully and set them up in a 'studio' for us so we could try out different camera settings without being distracted by the wind and rain outside.

Next was a theory session, where the tutor showed us different types of equipment, and even some lenses that could be attached to a bridge camera1. We also got to explore more of the settings on our own cameras, so I picked up some tips that will be helpful for me next time I go out birdwatching.

After lunch, it was pond dipping time. A Smooth Newt Eft posed for us, so we took some 'underwater' photos of it through the wall of a glass tank, as well as taking photos of some of the insects and other creatures that live in the water.

Buff Tip MothBurnished Brass Moth
Poplar Hawk MothSmooth Newt Eft

Here are a selection of the photos I took during the day - the first is the Buff Tip Moth showing how well it camouflages itself by pretending to be a twig. The second is the Burnished Brass Moth, which is also well named, and well camouflaged against the green-brown log. Third is the Poplar Hawk Moth, and finally the cute Newt Eft looks like some sort of dragon as it flies through its underwater world.

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

19.08.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1I bought a set of those lenses after the session - look out for more of my camera experiments in future!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87945501

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more