They Could Have Been an h2g2 Researcher #142: Lytton Strachey

1 Conversation

They Could Have Been an h2g2 Researcher #142: Lytton Strachey

Florence Nightingale, an Eminent Victorian

A copy of Lytton Strachey's first and most famous book Eminent Victorians (1918) came into my possession some years ago. Reading the preface to this work today, I could well imagine Lytton Strachey would have enjoyed writing for h2g2 if the opportunity had been available to him.

Here I reproduce a sample of the preface text, with h2g2 links added accordingly.

It is not by the direct method of a scrupulous narration that the explorer of the past can hope to depict that singular epoch [the Victorian age]. If he is wise, he will adopt a subtler strategy. He will attack his subject in unexpected places; he will fall upon the flank, or the rear; he will shoot a sudden, revealing searchlight into obscure recesses, hitherto undivined. He will row out over that great ocean of material, and lower down into it a little bucket, here and there, which will bring up to the light of day some characteristic specimen from those far depths, to be examined with a careful curiosity.
{...] It would have been futile to hope to tell even a precis of the truth about the Victorian age, for the shortest precis must fill innumerable volumes. [...] Those two fat volumes, with which it is our custom to commemorate the dead - who does not know them, with their ill-digested masses of material, their slipshod style, their tone of tedious panegyric, their lamentable lack of selection, of detachment, of design? {...] How many lessons are to be learnt from them! But it is hardly necessary to particularise. To preserve, for instance, a becoming brevity - a brevity which excludes everything that is redundant and nothing that is significant - that, surely, is the first duty of the biographer.

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

23.07.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87914172

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more