Rod's Green Man, Part 13

1 Conversation

One Man's Woodcraft: Carving.

The Green Man: Part 13

Rod's Green Man, part 13.

Roughing-out the two upper main leaves and the peripheral underlying leaves took some serious thought and heavy duty attention. It seems, though, that cutting the leaves and the way they're curving and curling seems, so far, to be taking care of the way the face should slope out and down, as I hoped so that's encouraging.

What to do about His eyes, though, is a recurring worry. I've made a jig out of MDF that will allow me to mount the router so that it will drill down at (fairly) precisely one eye position then slide it over for the other eye. I have two cutters that may suit, subject to further thought, but the larger one will need to have the ball bearing removed (it's made to give an exactly flush cut while rolling along a workpiece, for trimming). I'm more or less convinced that His pupils will be significantly deeper to make them appear dark – and they will have to be drilled first because of way the cutter's made (normally, one would drill the bigger hole first).

Harking back to a previous episode, we looked at tools and it occurred to me that I'd omitted one – a piece of towelling or other suitably absorbent material – that dribble of concentration soaker-upperer.

Articles by Rod

Rod

20.01.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87821094

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more