Elton's Adventures: Manchester

0 Conversations

An answer to Create's August Challenge.

Elton's Adventures: Manchester


In mid August Elton visited Brown Furby in Manchester. He had of course read a lot about the recent events in London and wanted to know a bit more. Why did he visit Manchester and not London? Maybe Pastey has an answer. Afterwards Brown Furby and Elton went to see a few more historic sites.

Elton and The Olympic Gold Postbox in Lloyd Street Manchester


The Royal Mail has painted a postbox gold in the home town of each the gold medal winning athletes from Team GB in the London 2012 Olympics. Postboxes are usually red in the UK. Elton went out in a specially designed plastic carriage ready for the Manchester rain and found the gold post box on the corner of Albert Square Manchester.

Elton finds a gold postbox.

The Red postbox in Corporation Street


This is mentioned in the h2g2 Manchester entry as it survived the 1996 bomb unlike most of its surroundings.
You can see on a what the area looked like back in 1996 in this BBC news image. This was the most difficult postbox to take a photograph of because there are now bicycle parking racks in front of it and the road behind it was closed to encourage people to try sports. Also there were people who hadn't consented to their faces being on h2g2 who kept walking past and therefore being in the picture.


Elton bravely balanced on top of the postbox for this photograph so that both he and the bridge could be in the photo.

Elton finds a red postbox.


Many thanks to Brown Furby for taking Elton for a walk in rainy Manchester and for sending us these pictures.

Post General Features Archive

Brown Furby

10.09.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87770145

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more